Author Topic: GPS Tagging  (Read 18223 times)

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
GPS Tagging
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »
All,

I am interested in getting into the GeoTagging of some of my pictures... seems like a cool idea now that 4.6 supports the import of the data

I have looked at the AGL3080 GPS Data Logger and it looks like a good buy.... but the idea of a GPS unit with Topo Maps seems like a better idea

So questions for the group....

What GPS units are supported (I could not find)
What units with Topo maps support logging (I have no idea and it is not clear in their descriptions online since I don't know the jargon)
Does anyone have any opinions on Like the Oregon 400t

Thanks for the thoughts
Chris noland<br />www.thenolands.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: GPS Tagging
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:39:04 AM »
I walk in similar shoes but I don't want a navigation device only something to logg my every move but want to be able to download the logs to my Apple MacBook Pro and some logging devices I met support Windows only.

I don't know TopoMap I prefer IGO, but as I know most GPS navigation software offer the option to save your trace log or the rout you moved. Of course different programs have these settings in different places.

The real question is not which GPS softvare PM supports but what GPS log formats does PM support to check if your (chosen) GPS can output that format.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
I walk in similar shoes but I don't want a navigation device only something to logg my every move but want to be able to download the logs to my Apple MacBook Pro and some logging devices I met support Windows only.

I don't know TopoMap I prefer IGO, but as I know most GPS navigation software offer the option to save your trace log or the rout you moved. Of course different programs have these settings in different places.

The real question is not which GPS softvare PM supports but what GPS log formats does PM support to check if your (chosen) GPS can output that format.

Photo Mechanic currently supports GPX and NMEA formats.  The AGL3080 produces a NMEA file and works quite well with Photo Mechanic's Import GPS function.

-Kirk

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:25:43 AM »
Kirk,

This maybe a stupid question... do most GPS devices support the exporting these log files?  Is there something I should look for in the descriptions / manual's to determine if it supports an output PM can ingest

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »
Kirk,

This maybe a stupid question... do most GPS devices support the exporting these log files?  Is there something I should look for in the descriptions / manual's to determine if it supports an output PM can ingest

Yes, I believe most have software that support these two formats.  We're willing to support other formats, but all users so far have requested that we support GPX and NMEA.

The AGL3080 GPS Data Logger (referenced above) is very simple (no software needed) as it plugs in via USB and mounts as a disk.  PM's Import GPS Coordinates feature is able to work with it directly.  If you haven't bought anything yet, I highly recommend it.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:28:47 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline chrisnoland

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • The Nolands
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks... I was actually ready to buy the AGL3080 GPS but then thought... why not get a device that supports mapping also.  Then I can use it for two functions while out on a hike or trying to find something

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:30:54 PM »
I was thinking on a Royaltek device but it turned out to be for logging only and having no USB but BT only....and software for Win only. So my trust drained for it.

The other option I am thinking of is a Holux one offering both to be a BT/USB receiver for any PDA and a standalone logging device (with a USB as well). But it lists drivers to be necessary so the one Kirk mentioned may be the winner with the mass storage solution. Thanks for the tip.
By the way here is a list of devices: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
I was thinking on a Royaltek device but it turned out to be for logging only and having no USB but BT only....and software for Win only. So my trust drained for it.

The other option I am thinking of is a Holux one offering both to be a BT/USB receiver for any PDA and a standalone logging device (with a USB as well). But it lists drivers to be necessary so the one Kirk mentioned may be the winner with the mass storage solution. Thanks for the tip.
By the way here is a list of devices: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews

I can speak from personal experience that the Holux model is not at all Mac OS X friendly.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »

I can speak from personal experience that the Holux model is not at all Mac OS X friendly.

-Kirk

Thanks for the info I remove it from the list. I am becoming less and less Windows friendly...
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
Hi,

as long the holux produces gpx-files and has a Bluetooth-connection, there's no problem on a mac.
Mytracks, or HoudahGPS gets the data via Bluetooth and that's it.
That's the way I use my WinTec-201 without any problems.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
as long the holux produces gpx-files and has a Bluetooth-connection, there's no problem on a mac.
Mytracks, or HoudahGPS gets the data via Bluetooth and that's it.

Not quite.  As long as the Holux were to provide a file system that Photo Mechanic can read from then you could use it directly inside PM.  Otherwise you would need some sort of utility application to download the file (GPX or NMEA) to your hard drive and then PM could load it.  As far as I can tell, there is no user-friendly software that works with the Holux on Mac OS X, though I haven't checked on that for several months now.

-Kirk

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
Hi,
just to actualise: HoudahGPS supports now the Holux M-241 (as written on their homepage)
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »
Hi,
just to actualise: HoudahGPS supports now the Holux M-241 (as written on their homepage)

Do you mean HoudahGeo?  It's not a free product.  I guess I was really trying to point out that if you haven't purchased a GPS data logger yet, that some of them are easier to use with Photo Mechanic than others.  The Holux product is not one of them.

-Kirk

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 08:18:33 AM »
Do you mean HoudahGeo? 
No, as I wrote: HoudahGPS, it's free and it imports data.
... I guess I was really trying to point out that if you haven't purchased a GPS data logger yet, that some of them are easier to use with Photo Mechanic than others.  The Holux product is not one of them.
It was not my intention to contradict that, as I don't know the Holux.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 08:33:46 AM »
Do you mean HoudahGeo? 
No, as I wrote: HoudahGPS, it's free and it imports data.

I stand corrected.  Yes, one could use that utility to get data off of a Holux as a GPX or NMEA file and then use that with Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk