Author Topic: Can't change colour class in PM once NX2 has had its wicked way with a file!  (Read 3128 times)

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi all,

This is a similar problem to the one described elsewhere - http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4037.0 - but it's different enough to warrant a new thread. I'm on the latest versions of PM and NX2, using an iMac running 10.5.7 (only recently - this happened on 10.5.6 as well).

Here's the order of events:

Download RAW files from D700 card using PM.
Go through previews in PM colour tagging shots that need an edit.
Right click - Edit - launches RAW file in NX2 by default.
Edit file in NX2.
Save RAW file in NX2.
Flip back to PM, try to change colour class to 'Edited' or whatever.
Doesn't work - can't change to any colour. Star ratings can be added but colour class can't be altered.
Change folder NX2 is looking at. Doesn't help.
Quit NX2 completely. Doesn't help.
Restart PM and then try applying 'no colour class' to all photos in folder. Doesn't work.

If I then load up NX2 again and have a look to see what's happening, something weird arises: some of the photos in NX2 that should be tagged with a colour are no longer tagged. And yet they are in PM. Then in PM I try to filter out everything that isn't tagged (the vast majority) and it doesn't work. Clicking the 'no tag' button does not trigger a sort. Clicking the colour I've been using does hide those images, however.

This strange situation persists even after quitting and restarting both apps separately and at the same time. All in all, a most perplexing situation with no obvious convenient workaround. Any ideas what's occurred?

Cheers,
Owen

EDIT: It seems that changing the colour class in NX2 does feed back to PM, but never vice versa. So there's a workaround but in my workflow it's not elegant and I don't understand why even quitting NX2 doesn't allow me to edit the colour class of images that have been saved at some point in NX2 - I actually saved almost all these images once already in NX2 before I started tagging in PM (had to change a white balance globally) and the tagging was working fine. It seems if I save an image in NX2 that's had a PM colour class applied, it's those images that I can't re-classify in PM.

Sorry for ramble, hope it all helps solve the problem :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:25:18 AM by owen-b »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi all,

This is a similar problem to the one described elsewhere - http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4037.0 - but it's different enough to warrant a new thread. I'm on the latest versions of PM and NX2, using an iMac running 10.5.7 (only recently - this happened on 10.5.6 as well).

Here's the order of events:

Download RAW files from D700 card using PM.
Go through previews in PM colour tagging shots that need an edit.
Right click - Edit - launches RAW file in NX2 by default.
Edit file in NX2.
Save RAW file in NX2.
Flip back to PM, try to change colour class to 'Edited' or whatever.
Doesn't work - can't change to any colour. Star ratings can be added but colour class can't be altered.
Change folder NX2 is looking at. Doesn't help.
Quit NX2 completely. Doesn't help.
Restart PM and then try applying 'no colour class' to all photos in folder. Doesn't work.

If I then load up NX2 again and have a look to see what's happening, something weird arises: some of the photos in NX2 that should be tagged with a colour are no longer tagged. And yet they are in PM. Then in PM I try to filter out everything that isn't tagged (the vast majority) and it doesn't work. Clicking the 'no tag' button does not trigger a sort. Clicking the colour I've been using does hide those images, however.

This strange situation persists even after quitting and restarting both apps separately and at the same time. All in all, a most perplexing situation with no obvious convenient workaround. Any ideas what's occurred?

Cheers,
Owen

EDIT: It seems that changing the colour class in NX2 does feed back to PM, but never vice versa. So there's a workaround but in my workflow it's not elegant and I don't understand why even quitting NX2 doesn't allow me to edit the colour class of images that have been saved at some point in NX2 - I actually saved almost all these images once already in NX2 before I started tagging in PM (had to change a white balance globally) and the tagging was working fine. It seems if I save an image in NX2 that's had a PM colour class applied, it's those images that I can't re-classify in PM.

Sorry for ramble, hope it all helps solve the problem :)

The latest version of Photo Mechanic is 4.6.1 beta 8 which is available from the Announcements section of the forums.  Are you using 4.6.1 beta 8 or some other version?

-Kirk

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I'm using the most up to date version as confirmed to me by the Update feature in the actual software - this is what the screen tells me when I try to update:

Thank you for checking with Camera Bits for the latest version of Photo Mechanicâ„¢.
Your current version 4.6 of Photo Mechanic for Macintosh is up-to-date.

Is this problem fixed in the beta of a newer version? Do you recommend I get it anyway? I generally avoid betas when it comes to software I rely upon for work, see, plus I had no idea it existed!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I'm using the most up to date version as confirmed to me by the Update feature in the actual software - this is what the screen tells me when I try to update:

Thank you for checking with Camera Bits for the latest version of Photo Mechanicâ„¢.
Your current version 4.6 of Photo Mechanic for Macintosh is up-to-date.

Is this problem fixed in the beta of a newer version? Do you recommend I get it anyway? I generally avoid betas when it comes to software I rely upon for work, see, plus I had no idea it existed!

Please use the 4.6.1 beta 8 version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline owen-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Okey dokey I'll give it a whirl and let you know if it fixes my problem. Thanks.