Author Topic: Save copy of transmitted photos?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Save copy of transmitted photos?
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:08:32 PM »
Kirk -
I'm currently using 2 different online services having used 2 others before. But this would also be usefull for someone that may in the future switch to a new service. Would it be possible to have the Save copy of transmitted photos feature save the transmitted images like this?
if Uploaded to Zenfolio - save the file to D:/Uploads/ZF/ActualFolder
if Uploaded to PhotoShelter - save the file to D:/Uploads/PS/ActualFolder
Then IF I ever needed to switch I could just upload a directory with all it's subdirectories.
Thanks
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Re: Save copy of transmitted photos?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:27:30 AM »
Hi Kirk - it's been a while since I asked this - Is there any possibility for a feature like this post.

There is a lot of work to re-upload (remove extra files/versions, remove personalized captions) to a new service. This would let me reuse my original upload (Low res with watermark & generic caption)
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »
Joe,

I'm currently using 2 different online services having used 2 others before. But this would also be usefull for someone that may in the future switch to a new service. Would it be possible to have the Save copy of transmitted photos feature save the transmitted images like this?
if Uploaded to Zenfolio - save the file to D:/Uploads/ZF/ActualFolder
if Uploaded to PhotoShelter - save the file to D:/Uploads/PS/ActualFolder
Then IF I ever needed to switch I could just upload a directory with all it's subdirectories.

Well, you can do this already, but it's a completely manual step.  You just set the uploader to 'Save a copy of transmitted photos:' 'In a specified directory' and then create the path when you click on the 'Choose...' button.

But even then when you want to upload to a different service, there is no way to select an entire hierarchy of photos and preserve that directory structure in the upload, unless you're using FTP or SFTP.  Most of the services offer a feature where you can send them an entire hard drive and they'll import it into your account and send your hard drive back.  Well worth it if you have a lot of photos.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »
Basically I'm trying to create the hard drive - How about if you forget about the different service part but use / pickup the same folder name or maybe just make it the uploaded date or a variable.
something like - save the file to D:/Uploaded/ActualFolder or D:/Uploaded/Dateofupload(A,B,C if more then one)
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC