Author Topic: DPP, 7D and PM  (Read 4322 times)

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
DPP, 7D and PM
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »
So I received my 7D, ACR 5.5 is less than optimal.  I have never used DPP.  I recently started working with PM changing from LR, I love it.  Has there been any change with the interface between PM and DPP since the last posts that I found on this forum?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DPP, 7D and PM
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:40:43 PM »
So I received my 7D, ACR 5.5 is less than optimal.  I have never used DPP.  I recently started working with PM changing from LR, I love it.  Has there been any change with the interface between PM and DPP since the last posts that I found on this forum?

No.  Canon has not made it any easier for applications such as Photo Mechanic to direct DPP to open a particular file.

-Kirk

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »
So Kirk your response was what I had expected from this and other forums.  Sad that Canon does this.  Have you or anyone else figured out a work flow work around to allow ingestion in photomechanic and then next steps in DPP?

If I tag in PM after ingesting everything, is there a way to send all of the tagged items to a new folder?  If so, then they coudl be immediately imported into DPP.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:54:12 AM »
So Kirk your response was what I had expected from this and other forums.  Sad that Canon does this.  Have you or anyone else figured out a work flow work around to allow ingestion in photomechanic and then next steps in DPP?

If I tag in PM after ingesting everything, is there a way to send all of the tagged items to a new folder?  If so, then they coudl be immediately imported into DPP.

No.  If you set DPP as one of your editors in PM, then PM will try to send selected photos to it when you 'edit' them in PM.  DPP's response will be to browse the last folder it was browsing when you last used it.  Basically it does nothing special when told to open a group of files.

I haven't tried it in a while however.  So the behavior may have changed since then.

-Kirk

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:40 AM »
Different question, if I tag photos in PM, can I then send all tagged photos to a new folder?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:53:32 AM »
Different question, if I tag photos in PM, can I then send all tagged photos to a new folder?

To my knowledge, this can not be done automatically. What you can do is select all tagged files (f3) and then use the copy/move function to move them to the new location.

Hope this helps.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:22:03 PM »
Well, if you can do that then wouldn't the fix for the DPP issue be to simply tag as usual in PM and then create a separate folder for tagged pics, open with DPP and then proceed?  Moving to a new folder would be no different then usind the edit photo button and opening in ACR.  What am I missing here?

To my knowledge, this can not be done automatically. What you can do is select all tagged files (f3) and then use the copy/move function to move them to the new location.

Hope this helps.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »
Well, if you can do that then wouldn't the fix for the DPP issue be to simply tag as usual in PM and then create a separate folder for tagged pics, open with DPP and then proceed?  Moving to a new folder would be no different then usind the edit photo button and opening in ACR.  What am I missing here?

Even when DPP is told to browse files in a folder, it will still browse the last folder it had opened, ignoring the request to browse the new folder.

This may have changed.  I haven't checked in a while.

-Kirk