Author Topic: Snow Leopard update  (Read 24602 times)

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Snow Leopard update
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »
Hi
Any news on the snow leopard update to Photo mechanic please?
Cheers

Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Snow Leopard update
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »
Andy,

Any news on the snow leopard update to Photo mechanic please?

We're still working on it.

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
Ok thanks
any idea of a time scale?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »
Ok thanks
any idea of a time scale?

We're planning to release it by the 22nd of October.

We will likely have a public beta soon.

-Kirk

Offline dlundy4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:41:28 PM »
Hi Kirk,
              I have a temporary PM work-around with Snow Leopard...
I had a problem with my upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard; the PM Ingest feature took nearly 5_minutes to load, and showed two extra entries I'd never seen before:
home  (empty)
net  (empty)

So I ejected my Network drives, tried again, and it still failed.  So I booted up on a Backup drive on Tiger, and PM ran normally.
THEN I booted up on Snow Leopard, this time with _no_network_drives_ and PM ran the Ingests just fine! 
As a final reality check, I added a Network drive, and *poof* I was back to waiting 5 minutes again.
Hope that helps.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.5.4 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.1 on my Intel-based iMac 2.16 Ghz, 2GB RAM.

Regards,
Dave Lundy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 07:54:24 PM »
Dave,

I have a temporary PM work-around with Snow Leopard...
I had a problem with my upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard; the PM Ingest feature took nearly 5_minutes to load, and showed two extra entries I'd never seen before:
home  (empty)
net  (empty)

So I ejected my Network drives, tried again, and it still failed.  So I booted up on a Backup drive on Tiger, and PM ran normally.
THEN I booted up on Snow Leopard, this time with _no_network_drives_ and PM ran the Ingests just fine! 
As a final reality check, I added a Network drive, and *poof* I was back to waiting 5 minutes again.
Hope that helps.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.5.4 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.1 on my Intel-based iMac 2.16 Ghz, 2GB RAM.

Can you tell me how to get those entries to appear on my own system?  I never get those, and my Ingest dialog starts up really fast.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline davv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »
I am interested (and by "interested" I mean "desperate") in dlundy4's notes. I too see those invisible volumes on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. There are no networked volumes.

I know, I know, I should have not upgraded to Snow Leopard in haste. But PM worked fine for a week or so -- just long enough for me to overwrite my back-to-Leopard backup. 

Before this, PM has never been anything but perfectly well behaved. (It's spoiled me rotten, IOW.) Last week, on the three-day location shoot, it performed like a champ for 1.5 days.  Then it started hanging with increasing frequency. My quickie workaround -- load the card's images as a contact sheet, copy those to hard drive -- also started hanging PM. It really threw me off my game.

I shoot a catalog on Thursday and Friday. Any ideas? (*cough-beta-gurk*) If not, guess I'll haul my old semi-retired G4 to the job.

thanks,

David

Offline dlundy4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
Hello,
         Re the Ingest screen delays on Snow Leopard.  I have a better fix (at least it works for me) that might also help pinpoint the culprit for these intermittent problems.   Yesterday I revived a favorite App called "Little Snitch" (a firewall program).  With it running, I launched PM, and no problems.  Then I pressed Command-G, and a pop-up box told me that "automountd" wanted to connect to PMIngestIgnore on UDP port 111 (sunrpc).  I told it "Deny Forever", and the PM Ingest box popped up instantly.  I added a Network drive, and tried again. IT WORKED just fine.  I went back to "Little Snitch", told it to Allow the connect to PMIngestIgnore- and the long wait began, just like before.
  So I have now blocked PM from "automountd" connecting to PMIngestIgnore on UDP port 111 (sunrpc), and can Ingest just fine, even with my iMac networked to the rest of the computers in my home.  (Which is fortunate, since one of my Backup drives is a NAS.)
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »
Dave,

Re the Ingest screen delays on Snow Leopard.  I have a better fix (at least it works for me) that might also help pinpoint the culprit for these intermittent problems.   Yesterday I revived a favorite App called "Little Snitch" (a firewall program).  With it running, I launched PM, and no problems.  Then I pressed Command-G, and a pop-up box told me that "automountd" wanted to connect to PMIngestIgnore on UDP port 111 (sunrpc).  I told it "Deny Forever", and the PM Ingest box popped up instantly.  I added a Network drive, and tried again. IT WORKED just fine.  I went back to "Little Snitch", told it to Allow the connect to PMIngestIgnore- and the long wait began, just like before.
  So I have now blocked PM from "automountd" connecting to PMIngestIgnore on UDP port 111 (sunrpc), and can Ingest just fine, even with my iMac networked to the rest of the computers in my home.  (Which is fortunate, since one of my Backup drives is a NAS.)

That's really odd.  When you see that connection attempt, what Photo Mechanic is doing is trying to check for the existence of a folder named "PMIngestIgnore" on a particular disk, which if it exists, Ingest decides to ignore that disk.  What apparently is taking a long time is for the automount daemon to timeout when it tries to make that UDP connection.  PM just waits for the result (it gets blocked by the OS and has no other choice.)

It's nice that you found yourself a workaround.

-Kirk

Offline dlundy4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »
Dave,

That's really odd.  When you see that connection attempt, what Photo Mechanic is doing is trying to check for the existence of a folder named "PMIngestIgnore" on a particular disk, which if it exists, Ingest decides to ignore that disk.  What apparently is taking a long time is for the automount daemon to timeout when it tries to make that UDP connection.  PM just waits for the result (it gets blocked by the OS and has no other choice.)

It's nice that you found yourself a workaround.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,
               Thanks for the tip.  I added an empty dir called PMIngestIgnore to my Time Machine drive and NAS backup, and they disappeared from the listed Ingest drives. That makes sure I don't select them by mistake.

Thanks!
Dave

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »
Will it be a version 5 paid upgrade or version 4.7 included upgrade?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:18:59 PM »
Will it be a version 5 paid upgrade or version 4.7 included upgrade?

The next version is going to be 4.6.2 which is a free update for all Photo Mechanic 4.6 users.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
Please check the Announcements section.  Photo Mechanic 4.6.2 beta 1 has been released.

Please let me know if you still have any issues when running this version on Snow Leopard.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline camerauk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »
Hi Kirk
having tried the beta version all seems to be running well apart from it takes along time to ingest pictures from a card(about 15mins for about 300mb worth of images)
Also when it ejects the card that takes along time as well about 20secs
running macbook pro running snow leopard
cheers
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
Andy,

having tried the beta version all seems to be running well apart from it takes along time to ingest pictures from a card(about 15mins for about 300mb worth of images)

What card and card reader are you using?  Model numbers please if possible.

Quote from: camerauk
Also when it ejects the card that takes along time as well about 20secs

I have filed a bug with Apple on this issue.  There is nothing I can do about it.

-Kirk