Author Topic: Automatically selected destination folders on ingesting  (Read 5280 times)

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
Automatically selected destination folders on ingesting
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:39:39 PM »
Hello,

I'm a new user of PM, so this might be an existing question. My apologies if it is; I've searched help, the manual and this forum.

I have two cameras that I use regularly:
- a Nikon D300, on which I shoot only NEFs on to a CF card
- a Ricoh Caplio GX100, on which I shoot either JPGs or DNG+JPG files, on the same SD card. (DNG is Ricoh's chosen raw format. The camera produces the JPG automatically with it; AFAIK, it can't be turned off.)

Pictures go from a card reader into either of two high-level directories -- 1NikPix or 1Ricohpix. The structure within each is the same -- "YYYMMDD" sub directories, with file names prefixed with "YYYMMDD_". The structure is mirrored across two discs, C and E. I've worked out how to do this in PM.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to set PM so it will direct files into the relevant high-level fork depending on file or card type.

Failing that, is there a way for me to tell it which to choose without having to scroll through the directory browser each time?

TIA,

Roger Whitehead
Running RM 4.6.1 under Win XP Pro SP3
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:43:22 PM by RogerGW »
Roger Whitehead
Using PM 6.0, build 5376, under Windows 10 Home, version 20H2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automatically selected destination folders on ingesting
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:15:03 AM »
Roger,

I'm a new user of PM, so this might be an existing question. My apologies if it is; I've searched help, the manual and this forum.

I have two cameras that I use regularly:
- a Nikon D300, on which I shoot only NEFs on to a CF card
- a Ricoh Caplio GX100, on which I shoot either JPGs or DNG+JPG files, on the same SD card. (DNG is Ricoh's chosen raw format. The camera produces the JPG automatically with it; AFAIK, it can't be turned off.)

Pictures go from a card reader into either of two high-level directories -- 1NikPix or 1Ricohpix. The structure within each is the same -- "YYYMMDD" sub directories, with file names prefixed with "YYYMMDD_". The structure is mirrored across two discs, C and E. I've worked out how to do this in PM.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to set PM so it will direct files into the relevant high-level fork depending on file or card type.

Failing that, is there a way for me to tell it which to choose without having to scroll through the directory browser each time?

You should really only have to set the Primary Destination (and Secondary Destination [optional]) once and then forget about them.  Do your directory building with {variables} by using the 'Copy Photos:' popup menu, setting it to 'into folder with name' and then fill out the 'Folder Name:' text field using Photo Mechanic's {variables}.  Along with 'Code Replacement' you should be able to use the {make} variable to create the '1NikPix' or the '1Ricohpix' folders, the dated sub-directories and so on.

To do this, you need to create a Code Replacement text file (you can read all about Code Replacement in the manual available in the Announcements section of the forums) with the following data in it:

Nikon [tab character] 1NikPix
Ricoh [tab character] 1RicohPix

Then load that text file into the Code Replacement dialog.  Set your Code Replacement delimiter to something like '-' or '=' instead of the default '/' character.

Then in the Ingest dialog's 'Folder Name:' field enter:

={make}=\{year4}{month0}{day0}\

and setup your renaming string as well (sounds like you're already doing this) and then Ingest some cards.  When pictures from the Nikon camera are encountered, they'll go into a folder named 1NikPix and then into the dated folder.  When photos from a Ricoh are encountered they'll go into a folder named '1RicohPix' and then into the dated folder.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:03 AM »
That was quick! Many thanks, Kirk.

I'll try it later today and let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Roger
Roger Whitehead

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »

Almost there but instead of 1Nikpix and 1Ricohpix, it produces folders labelled "=NIKON CORPORATION=" and "=RICOH=" respectively. Below those it's fine.

The folder name string on the Ingest panel is "={make}=\{year4}_{month0}_{day0}" and I have made a UTF-8 file, referred to in Code Replacement settings, with these tabbed columns:

NIKON CORPORATION   1Nikpix
RICOH   1Ricohpix

Originally the first line read NIKON  1Nikpix but I changed it when I saw what PM created.

I have "=" set as the default delimiter.

I suspect the Code Replacement file's where the trouble lies but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

What do you suggest?

Regards,

Roger
Running RM 4.6.1 under Win XP Pro SP3
Roger Whitehead

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:05 AM »
Roger,

Almost there but instead of 1Nikpix and 1Ricohpix, it produces folders labelled "=NIKON CORPORATION=" and "=RICOH=" respectively. Below those it's fine.

The folder name string on the Ingest panel is "={make}=\{year4}_{month0}_{day0}" and I have made a UTF-8 file, referred to in Code Replacement settings, with these tabbed columns:

NIKON CORPORATION   1Nikpix
RICOH   1Ricohpix

Originally the first line read NIKON  1Nikpix but I changed it when I saw what PM created.

I have "=" set as the default delimiter.

I suspect the Code Replacement file's where the trouble lies but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

What do you suggest?

A test.  Open up the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog.  Put your cursor in one of the fields.  Then type:

=RICOH=

Does that text get replaced with '1Ricohpix' ?

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »
A test.  Open up the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog.  Put your cursor in one of the fields.  Then type:

=RICOH=

Does that text get replaced with '1Ricohpix' ?

-Kirk

Nope. I assume that means something isn't doing what it should.

[A while later] I've just downloaded and installed a different Unicode editor. I now get "1Ricohpix"!

I'll run some trials of the whole set-up.

Thanks,

Roger
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:00:40 PM by RogerGW »
Roger Whitehead

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »

Which now works perfectly. Many thanks, Kirk.

Regards,

Roger
Roger Whitehead

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »
Roger,

Which now works perfectly. Many thanks, Kirk.

Great.  I'm glad you have a solution that saves you time over your previous solution.

You might even find uses for Code Replacement in other parts of your workflow.

-Kirk

Offline Donkeykong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »
Hey Kirk, can I please get the update as well? I just switched to a Macbook pro... Snow Leopard (I am not sure how to tell the version), but my smugmug uploader doesn't seem to upload to smugmug... I am on photomechanic 4.6.1

Thanks!!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »
Hey Kirk, can I please get the update as well? I just switched to a Macbook pro... Snow Leopard (I am not sure how to tell the version), but my smugmug uploader doesn't seem to upload to smugmug... I am on photomechanic 4.6.1

Please see the Announcements section.  The 4.6.2 version is now a publicly available beta.

-Kirk