Author Topic: Is there a way to edit photos without the originals?  (Read 4749 times)

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
Is there a way to edit photos without the originals?
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:00:11 PM »
Hi,
Im not sure how to phrase this, due language limitations.

I have all my raws in a folder at my studio PC.
I want to take some home work with me, but I dont want to move all the raw files with me.

If I have PM installed at my home PC, can I do the editing at home, than in the next morning, update my studio PC with my selections?

Oh, by the way, am I allowed to have a copy of PM installed at home too? I should have asked this first, before everything, right?

Thanks!

Ricardo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Is there a way to edit photos without the originals?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:44:52 PM »
Ricardo,

I have all my raws in a folder at my studio PC.
I want to take some home work with me, but I dont want to move all the raw files with me.

If I have PM installed at my home PC, can I do the editing at home, than in the next morning, update my studio PC with my selections?

You would just copy the files back to your computer at work, replacing them.  The edits will now exist on your studio PC.

Quote from: rbuchner
Oh, by the way, am I allowed to have a copy of PM installed at home too? I should have asked this first, before everything, right?

Does someone other than you own the licence for the copy you use at work?  Or do you own it?

If you own it and you know that no one else will be using it at work during the time you're using it at home then that is OK by our license agreement.

-Kirk

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

If I have started making my selects at work, and its time to go home, so I want to continue that work at home, how is the process of coping only the necessary files to a pendrive, open it at home and keep editing?

Which files should I copy to this pendrive?

About the license:

I have an assistant that works for me (inside my studio) and sometimes he uses PM for color tagging a photo shoot, etc, but I own the copy, not him.
Is there a problem if hes editing a photoshot we did at my studio and I start PM at home, at the same time?

Thanks

Ricardo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
Ricardo,

If I have started making my selects at work, and its time to go home, so I want to continue that work at home, how is the process of coping only the necessary files to a pendrive, open it at home and keep editing?

Which files should I copy to this pendrive?

The ones you want to work with.  Use the Copy Photos feature.  It will copy the images and any WAV files, XMP sidecar files, etc. associated with the images themselves.  When you return with your edits, you'll have to copy them back, but remember that PM will not overwrite files if they exist already.  You'll have to move them aside first.

Quote from: rbuchner
About the license:

I have an assistant that works for me (inside my studio) and sometimes he uses PM for color tagging a photo shoot, etc, but I own the copy, not him.
Is there a problem if hes editing a photoshot we did at my studio and I start PM at home, at the same time?

If the same license is being used by more than one person at a time then that would be a violation of the license agreement.  But it sounds like to me that you'll be working at home after hours and that your assistant would also have gone home.  Thus the same license wouldn't be in use simultaneously.  Am I right?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:15:05 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline rbuchner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:08:22 PM »
Yes, this is true. When Im at home, he is not at the studio.

About the files, so I have to copy ALL raw files? Isn't there a way of copying only some preview files, so I dont have to deal with huge folders?

Ricardo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:16:54 PM »
Ricardo,

Yes, this is true. When Im at home, he is not at the studio.

About the files, so I have to copy ALL raw files? Isn't there a way of copying only some preview files, so I dont have to deal with huge folders?

You need to copy the files you wish to work on.  Accessing the previews in Photo Mechanic's cache folder just won't work.

If this is going to be a common occurrence then I suggest buying a USB or Firewire external hard drive so you can just work on that and take it home when you need to.

-Kirk