Author Topic: Programming Interface  (Read 3242 times)

Offline mporat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Programming Interface
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »
Friends, I am new to this product and looking to use it extensively.
I am running version 4.5.3 On Windows XP.

I am looking for a description / support about API, so that I can access the DB of my images and other functionalities from, say, a web service.
My need is to build web-site that will allow users worldwide to get limited access to my images: search by keywords, get thumbnails, order image by FTP etc.
The product itself will be used by photographers to insert images, tag them be keywords and manage the library.

Is that at all possible?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Programming Interface
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Friends, I am new to this product and looking to use it extensively.
I am running version 4.5.3 On Windows XP.

I am looking for a description / support about API, so that I can access the DB of my images and other functionalities from, say, a web service.
My need is to build web-site that will allow users worldwide to get limited access to my images: search by keywords, get thumbnails, order image by FTP etc.
The product itself will be used by photographers to insert images, tag them be keywords and manage the library.

Is that at all possible?

Are you a developer?  Or are you looking to have something developed?

-Kirk

Offline mporat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:05:47 PM »
I am a developer. I indend to work on that web service part.
As for the product interface, I'm interested to do it also, provided an API and a Documentation exists, but maybe other options also applies.
But first I need to know that my requirements are feasible.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »
I am a developer. I indend to work on that web service part.
As for the product interface, I'm interested to do it also, provided an API and a Documentation exists, but maybe other options also applies.
But first I need to know that my requirements are feasible.

Templates (written in Ruby) exist in both the Upload and Export dialogs.  There is no documentation for either dialog, but the source code for all of the templates is completely accessible so you can see how they work.

-Kirk

Offline mporat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »
I am not intereseted in activating scripts from dialogs - then it cannot happen from a web service, as it requires a human opening these dialogs !
I need it activated from another process, that may use tlb or assembly from this product.
Is there any support for that?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:29:48 AM »
I am not intereseted in activating scripts from dialogs - then it cannot happen from a web service, as it requires a human opening these dialogs !
I need it activated from another process, that may use tlb or assembly from this product.
Is there any support for that?

Photo Mechanic cannot be directed to perform operations from a separate process.  If you need that sort of thing, I would recommend using ImageMagick and its suite of tools.  ImageMagick is free software.  Google it.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mporat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:57:39 AM »
Thank you for the tip. We are using PhotoMechanic in our organization currently, and quite happy with it. It would be a nice feature to add, since I want to have one tool that will also manage my library. So I will need to find another way.