Author Topic: Cannot Render RAW files on Mac  (Read 3552 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Cannot Render RAW files on Mac
« on: December 15, 2009, 07:01:36 AM »
In Preview mode, I'm used to being able to just hit Q to toggle between the embedded jpeg preview in Canon CR2 files and having PM show the raw file itself, but this has now stopped working for some reason.  Nothing happens when I press Q at all if it's a raw file by itself.  If it's a raw+jpeg pair it will toggle between the jpeg and the embedded preview in the cr2, but not the actual RAW image itself.

I'm using Mac 10.6.2 and PM 4.6.2.1, but I've tried the current beta and that has the same problem.  Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cannot Render RAW files on Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:17:05 AM »
Sam,

In Preview mode, I'm used to being able to just hit Q to toggle between the embedded jpeg preview in Canon CR2 files and having PM show the raw file itself, but this has now stopped working for some reason.  Nothing happens when I press Q at all if it's a raw file by itself.  If it's a raw+jpeg pair it will toggle between the jpeg and the embedded preview in the cr2, but not the actual RAW image itself.

I'm using Mac 10.6.2 and PM 4.6.2.1, but I've tried the current beta and that has the same problem.  Any ideas as to what's going on here?

What camera are the CR2 files from?

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
An EOS 5D.  They used to work fine.  Could something have become corrupted that would stop PM being able to view them?

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:38:39 AM »
Something occurred to me as I typed that last reply - can OS X see them?  The answer is it can't.  I can't preview them with QuickLook in the Finder and iPhoto says it is an unsupported file type.  My laptop can, just not the Mac Pro, so I have somehow broken Digital Camera Raw.  I had a hard drive failure last week and have restored from Time Machine, so something must have been corrupted in the restore.  Do you have any idea where OS X keeps its raw definitions?  However I accept that it is probably not PM's fault that it can't render them either!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:44:29 AM »
Sam,

Something occurred to me as I typed that last reply - can OS X see them?  The answer is it can't.  I can't preview them with QuickLook in the Finder and iPhoto says it is an unsupported file type.  My laptop can, just not the Mac Pro, so I have somehow broken Digital Camera Raw.  I had a hard drive failure last week and have restored from Time Machine, so something must have been corrupted in the restore.  Do you have any idea where OS X keeps its raw definitions?  However I accept that it is probably not PM's fault that it can't render them either!

ImageIO is the framework that renders RAW files for the OS.  Search for changes to /System/Library/Frameworks/

If Preview.app can't view a RAW file then neither will Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »
Thanks, I'll have a poke around and see what I can fix.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:15:40 AM »
All fixed and working fine now - a complete wipe and reinstall of everything from scratch sorted it!