Author Topic: Keywords Panel  (Read 4086 times)

Offline john727

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Keywords Panel
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
I feel kind of silly but I can't find where the information in the small keywords panel is stored. I am changing to a new computer and I am trying to figure out how to copy the information into the new installation. I have lots of entries collected over a period of time and I really should back them up also.

Thanks,

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »
John,

I feel kind of silly but I can't find where the information in the small keywords panel is stored. I am changing to a new computer and I am trying to figure out how to copy the information into the new installation. I have lots of entries collected over a period of time and I really should back them up also.

Just use the 'Export' button in the dialog to save to a file of your choosing.  Copy the file to the new computer.  Import the file on the new computer.

-Kirk

Offline john727

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
Sounds simple enough. Thanks!

Offline john727

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »
Now I am really embarrased. The export on the drop down menu is grayed out. If I open the Keywords Panel drop down there is no obvious way to export it. If I highlight a thumbnail I can export it but not the drop down "Keywords Panel". Is the information stored somewhere? I found one list in Documents but I think it was from 4.5 and was out of date. I am running the latest 4.6.2.

Thanks again,

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:42 PM »
John,

Now I am really embarrased. The export on the drop down menu is grayed out. If I open the Keywords Panel drop down there is no obvious way to export it. If I highlight a thumbnail I can export it but not the drop down "Keywords Panel". Is the information stored somewhere? I found one list in Documents but I think it was from 4.5 and was out of date. I am running the latest 4.6.2.

If you're running 4.6.x then the easiest way to export and import preferences is to use the Import and Export buttons at the bottom of the Preferences dialog.  There you can choose every setting in Photo Mechanic that isn't specific to your particular computer and create a single file to transfer to your new computer where you would then import it via the Import button on the Preferences dialog on your new computer.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline john727

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:49 PM »
Well, I somehow missed that. That worked thanks very much for the help.