Author Topic: writing exif prohibited my PM?  (Read 7187 times)

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
writing exif prohibited my PM?
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:24:58 AM »
Hi,

just a question: does PM prohibit other applications to write EXIF data in a RAW file that was imported by PM and tagged with the stationary pad settings?

The reason: I import files with PM and tag them with PM. GPS data were written by HoudahGeo (because of its ReverseGeocode possibilities)so far in XMP files. Around the launch of Aperture 3 I tested Places in Aperture and found no GPS data. I recognized, that Aperture needs the GPS informations in the original RAW file. So I set HoudahGeo to write in the original file, but that doesn't work. I have to update the IPTC/XMP via Photo Mechanics Tools in the menubar for getting the gps data written in the RAW file.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: writing exif prohibited my PM?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »
PM does not prohibit any application from adjusting the data that is in the files. This means that as long as he application in question reads and writes the data in the correct fashion, it should work. There are, however, some examples of software that do not (fully) comply to the file structure specifications and therefore dot not fully work.

PM tries to be as compatible as possible and if they can, they will incorporate tweaks/work-arounds for non-compliant software.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
Hi,

thanks for the reply. This confirms what I think PM to do, so the problem is dedicated to the other software ...
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »
Yep,

In this case the problem at least is that your GeoTagger does not write into the original file but only to an xmp sidecar file. Aperture on the other hand only recognises the GPS info embedded into the actual file; it knows nothing of xmp sidecar files (an Adobe invention anyway). There are two fixes for this problem: either HoudahGeo starts to support embedding GPS data into the RAW file (like PM does actually) or Aperture starts to recognize xmp files.
This latter solution not being very likely as xmp sidecar files are an Adobe invention and see little support in other software (PM is a good exception though).

Hmm, perhaps by forcing PM to update IPTC/XMP data (e.g., by "changing" a field to its own value), PM will embed the GPS data as well from the xmp file (as long as you've correctly set your xmp/iptc preferences, this certainly works for that part of the metadata, I'm just not sure about the GPS part. Certainly worth a try though).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:30 PM »
Yep,

In this case the problem at least is that your GeoTagger does not write into the original file but only to an xmp sidecar file.
Yes, and there's a problem at the time with HoudahGeo ...
Hmm, perhaps by forcing PM to update IPTC/XMP data (e.g., by "changing" a field to its own value), PM will embed the GPS data as well from the xmp file (as long as you've correctly set your xmp/iptc preferences, this certainly works for that part of the metadata, I'm just not sure about the GPS part. Certainly worth a try though).
... and that's why I'm using this solution you mention ... but only for the trial of Aperture.
Still there's no really need for me to change my workflow (Photo Mechainc - BibblePro - AtomicView) ...
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
Yep,

In this case the problem at least is that your GeoTagger does not write into the original file but only to an xmp sidecar file.
Yes, and there's a problem at the time with HoudahGeo ...
... and that's why I'm using this solution you mention ... but only for the trial of Aperture.
Still there's no really need for me to change my workflow (Photo Mechainc - BibblePro - AtomicView) ...

What does AtomicView do for you, if you don't mind me asking?

-Kirk

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
What does AtomicView do for you, if you don't mind me asking?

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,
it is a fast and good working DAM application.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio