Author Topic: Kindergarten "resolution" and "rotation" questions  (Read 2569 times)

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kindergarten "resolution" and "rotation" questions
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.4 on my Intel-based Mac., OS X 10.6.2  ;D

Two kindergarten questions, I've tried to determine myself but just not sure I have found THE definitive answer:

1-
Is there no way to see the pixel/resolution/dimensions of an image file?  (...is that not in the EXIF information?  anywhere?)
If I double click a thumbnail or click the Preview magnifying glass, there is a number at the top of the big picture (something X something).
But I think this is the size of the preview, not the actual file?  Yes?
The preview of an Olympus E-1 orf file says 1280 x 960, when the actual size of the E-1 orf is 2560 x 1920, which is what got me to wondering.
Is the actual pixel/resolution/dimensions of a file not available anywhere through Photo Mechanic.
Or am I just too far behind the curve to see it / find it ?  ???

2-
I understand the little rotation arrows on the thumbnails being "soft" rotation.
Is there anyway within Photo Mechanic to actually rotate an image?

3-
(If not is there a really good, "best" way to rotate (raw or tif) images [on a Mac]? )

Much obliged for the answers,

James

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Kindergarten "resolution" and "rotation" questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »
James,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.4 on my Intel-based Mac., OS X 10.6.2  ;D

You must be on version 4.6.3 since there is no version 4.6.4 yet. ;)

Quote from: JamesD
Two kindergarten questions, I've tried to determine myself but just not sure I have found THE definitive answer:

1-
Is there no way to see the pixel/resolution/dimensions of an image file?  (...is that not in the EXIF information?  anywhere?)
If I double click a thumbnail or click the Preview magnifying glass, there is a number at the top of the big picture (something X something).
The preview of an Olympus E-1 orf file says 1280 x 960, when the actual size of the E-1 orf is 2560 x 1920, which is what got me to wondering.
Is the actual pixel/resolution/dimensions of a file not available anywhere through Photo Mechanic.

There are a variety of {variables} that you can put in your Info Text that will reveal all kinds of EXIF information about a photo.  See the manual starting on page 50 for more details.

2-
I understand the little rotation arrows on the thumbnails being "soft" rotation.

If they're JPEGs, then you can use the 'Apply Rotation to JPEGs' command on the Tools menu.  If they're RAW files, then no, not without saving to different file format like JPEG, PSD, or TIFF.

3-
(If not is there a really good, "best" way to rotate (raw or tif) images [on a Mac]? )

Use the 'Save Photos As' command on the File menu to save your RAW files out as a TIFF, JPEG, or PSD file.

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Kindergarten "resolution" and "rotation" questions
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »
James,

You must be on version 4.6.3 since there is no version 4.6.4 yet. ;)

TYPO!  Dang, I hate it when I make a mistake!  :o

1-

There are a variety of {variables} that you can put in your Info Text that will reveal all kinds of EXIF information about a photo.  See the manual starting on page 50 for more details.

Yep, I've seen reference to {variables} just hadn't gotten there yet.  Will be my next stop.

2-

If they're JPEGs, then you can use the 'Apply Rotation to JPEGs' command on the Tools menu.
If they're RAW files, then no, not without saving to different file format like JPEG, PSD, or TIFF.

-Kirk

Roger that.

_ __________________________ _

Thanks !

James