Author Topic: Old man, kindergarten New Version download question  (Read 4899 times)

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Old man, kindergarten New Version download question
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm really smart, but pretty much non-intuitive when it comes to computers.
So, often, instead of rolling the dice, I just like to ask.

I am running PM on an iMac OS X ver. 10.6.3

I just clicked on PM to open it and got a little  dialog box saying "time past to check for updates. do so now?" (or something like that)
I clicked to check, and a window came up saying "new version update available - click here to download" (or something like that)

My question is:

- If I click to do this, does it just do it and come back and say done and that's it? Nothing else required of me?
- Or, is it going to download the update to a folder somewhere (where?) that I have to then go get and install?
- Or delete the old version or any old parts of it?
- Or ANYthing?

Or is it just click on the link and VOILÁ!, magic, I'm all updated!

Thanks!

James

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Old man, kindergarten New Version download question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
James,

I'm really smart, but pretty much non-intuitive when it comes to computers.
So, often, instead of rolling the dice, I just like to ask.

I am running PM on an iMac OS X ver. 10.6.3

I just clicked on PM to open it and got a little  dialog box saying "time past to check for updates. do so now?" (or something like that)
I clicked to check, and a window came up saying "new version update available - click here to download" (or something like that)

My question is:

- If I click to do this, does it just do it and come back and say done and that's it? Nothing else required of me?
- Or, is it going to download the update to a folder somewhere (where?) that I have to then go get and install?
- Or delete the old version or any old parts of it?
- Or ANYthing?

Or is it just click on the link and VOILÁ!, magic, I'm all updated!

Basically, your browser will download the file where it always downloads files.  Then depending on your browser's settings it will either mount the disk image automatically or you'll have to manually find and open the installer disk image in the Finder.  Installing is as simple as dragging the new Photo Mechanic app to your Applications folder.

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
James,

Basically, your browser will download the file where it always downloads files.  Then depending on your browser's settings it will either mount  ??? the disk image automatically or you'll have to manually find and open the installer disk image in the Finder.  Installing is as simple as dragging the new Photo Mechanic app to your Applications folder.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, and (sorry) just to clarify...

...just drag it to the applications "folder"...where there already is the original/old Photo Mechanic app extant?
And they (the two of them now) find each other and work everything out between them?

James

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »
James,

Basically, your browser will download the file where it always downloads files.  Then depending on your browser's settings it will either mount  ??? the disk image automatically or you'll have to manually find and open the installer disk image in the Finder.  Installing is as simple as dragging the new Photo Mechanic app to your Applications folder.

Thanks Kirk, and (sorry) just to clarify...

...just drag it to the applications "folder"...where there already is the original/old Photo Mechanic app extant?
And they (the two of them now) find each other and work everything out between them?

The old one will be replaced by the new one.  (You'll have to allow the Finder to overwrite it when it warns you that an application with the same name already exists.)  Or if you want to keep the old one around you can always rename the current one (I usually just add the version number to the end of the Photo Mechanic name) and then drag the new Photo Mechanic application from the installer disk image to your Applications folder.

The new version will read your old version's preferences just fine.

-Kirk

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:45:14 PM »

All done, Kirk!!! (OK... with a little help from Jerry).

Got ver. 4.6.3 renamed and archived.

Got ver. 4.6.4 downloaded and installed.

All copacetic with preferences, colors, etc.

One small step for mankind, one giant step for me!

Thanks everybody.

James