Author Topic: Importing Keyword  (Read 4622 times)

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing Keyword
« on: June 10, 2010, 06:54:40 AM »
Hello all,

I was running PM 4.6 on Win XP SP2. I had keyworded a bunch of pics. My hardware broke forcing me to buy a Macbook pro MacOS X 10.6.3 Intel on which I installed PM 4.6. Now I want to import the keywords that I saved on my previous machine. I took the hard disk out from that machine and tried to locate keyword file, but without luck. Searching the forum, I found a thread possibly pointing that the keywords aren't stored as file. I'm desperate to get the keywords on this new machine. I would really appreciate if someone can help me.

I have photos with keywords. If I can't just import the whole list of keywords from my previous installation, then is there a way to glean all the keywords from the keyworded photos and import to the keyword list on the new machine?

Thanks in advance,
Senthil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Importing Keyword
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:56:32 AM »
Senthil,

I was running PM 4.6 on Win XP SP2. I had keyworded a bunch of pics. My hardware broke forcing me to buy a Macbook pro MacOS X 10.6.3 Intel on which I installed PM 4.6. Now I want to import the keywords that I saved on my previous machine. I took the hard disk out from that machine and tried to locate keyword file, but without luck. Searching the forum, I found a thread possibly pointing that the keywords aren't stored as file. I'm desperate to get the keywords on this new machine. I would really appreciate if someone can help me.

I have photos with keywords. If I can't just import the whole list of keywords from my previous installation, then is there a way to glean all the keywords from the keyworded photos and import to the keyword list on the new machine?

Is this the regular flat-list Keywords or the Structured Keywords that you're after?

-Kirk

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:18:38 AM »
Thanks a lot for the rapid response Kirk. These are flat-list keywords. Now 'm trying to save keyword list from individual photos as txt file but there is no button to store them into master keyword list that u get by Ctrl-K. Please help me.

As a side note - I haven't used structured kw's at all. Do u think there's advantage to using that as opposed to flat-list?

Thanks,
Senthil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »
Senthil,

Thanks a lot for the rapid response Kirk. These are flat-list keywords. Now 'm trying to save keyword list from individual photos as txt file but there is no button to store them into master keyword list that u get by Ctrl-K. Please help me.

The keywords are stored in a text file (XML) called "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs"  For me on my Windows 7x64 system the file can be found at:

C:\Users\Kirk Baker\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

Yours will be in a different location than mine since you were running Windows XP.

If you want to send me your file, I'll convert it to something that you can easily import onto your new system.

Quote from: senthilcumar
As a side note - I haven't used structured kw's at all. Do u think there's advantage to using that as opposed to flat-list?

There definitely are advantages in using a controlled vocabulary like what is used in the Structured Keywords panel/dialog in Photo Mechanic.  To learn more check out http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/

-Kirk

P.S. Make sure you're running 4.6.4 on your new Mac.  It is the most Snow Leopard compatible version that we have to offer.

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
Thanks again Kirk. I found the xml file. I'm attaching it to this post. I would really appreciate if you can please lemme know how to glean the keywords into the master keyword list. Yeah, I'm running the latest version for Mac.

I'll look into structured kw.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Senthil

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
Senthil,

Thanks again Kirk. I found the xml file. I'm attaching it to this post. I would really appreciate if you can please lemme know how to glean the keywords into the master keyword list. Yeah, I'm running the latest version for Mac.

I've converted your data into a text file that you'll be able to Import from the Keywords dialog.  I need your email address, or if you want me to post them here I can do that instead.  To send me your email address, click on my name to the left of this message and then click on the 'personal message' link.  There you can send me a private message with your email address in it.

-Kirk

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
Thanks Kirk. I've sent you a PM. I would appreciate if you can please email me the txt file to that id.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:26:58 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »
Thanks for the txt file with all the keywords. I'm trying to import the file or get PM to read the keywords in the master kw list, but I can't find any means of doing so. Please lemme know.

Regards,
Senthil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
Senthil,

Thanks for the txt file with all the keywords. I'm trying to import the file or get PM to read the keywords in the master kw list, but I can't find any means of doing so. Please lemme know.

Open the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog from the Image menu.  Find the Keywords field.  Click on the popup button to the right of the Keywords field.  Choose Edit Keywords from the popup menu.  Click on the Import button.  Find and choose your text file.

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
I did the way you said which has brought all the kw's to that kw dialog. However, these kw's don't show up in the master kw dialog list that you can open by Ctrl-K. In fact, it was one of my questions that I had even earlier. When I enter a kw there, it doesn't populate to master list. Is there any way of getting these to show up master list.

Regards,
Senthil

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »
BTW - 'm just abt to back up the current prefs file on Mac installation and cut/paste the kw entry from old prefs file into the new machine. Hopefully that'll work.

Regards,
Senthil

Offline senthilcumar

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »
I manually copied the keyword list from the old prefs b/w  <CAT_KEYWORDS>   </CAT_KEYWORDS> tags to the appropriate place in the current/new prefs file on the new machine. So it seems to work. Hopefully these kw's get incorporated normally.

Thanks again,
Senthil