Author Topic: 4.6.5 Not responsive  (Read 34341 times)

Offline Pemihan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: 4.6.5 Not responsive
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »
Peter,

I have the same issue on my Mac Pro with OS 10.6.4 with both PM 4.5.6 and the 4.6.6 beta.
When I revert back to 4.6.4 there's no problems at all.

On my MacBook Pro I'm running PM 4.5.6 with no problems at all, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the graphics card in my Mac Pro.
It's a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.

It must be a different issue then.  The issue that started this thread is a Windows-only issue.

Perhaps you could describe your MacPro issue in detail?  (And I'm guessing you mean 4.6.5 instead of 4.5.6 since there never was a 4.5.6 version in the 4.5.x series.)

-Kirk

Kirk,

Of course I mean 4.6.5, sorry about that...
When I open 4.6.5 or 4.6.6 it starts to display the thumbs but then it stalls and becomes completely unresponsive.
I can open some thumbs but they don't render and if I try to quit the program it takes forever to shut down and just gives me the spinning wheel.

In 4.6.4 I have none of those issues..

That would definitely be a different issue than what the original poster wrote about.

What kind of files are in the folder you're browsing?
How many files are in the folder you're browsing?

Would you be willing to run a logging version of Photo Mechanic so we can get to the bottom of this new issue?

-Kirk

3000 + files in the folders, primarily Canon RAW files (1Ds III)
No problem running a logging version, just let me know.

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
Peter,

I have the same issue on my Mac Pro with OS 10.6.4 with both PM 4.5.6 and the 4.6.6 beta.
When I revert back to 4.6.4 there's no problems at all.

On my MacBook Pro I'm running PM 4.5.6 with no problems at all, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the graphics card in my Mac Pro.
It's a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.

It must be a different issue then.  The issue that started this thread is a Windows-only issue.

Perhaps you could describe your MacPro issue in detail?  (And I'm guessing you mean 4.6.5 instead of 4.5.6 since there never was a 4.5.6 version in the 4.5.x series.)

-Kirk

Kirk,

Of course I mean 4.6.5, sorry about that...
When I open 4.6.5 or 4.6.6 it starts to display the thumbs but then it stalls and becomes completely unresponsive.
I can open some thumbs but they don't render and if I try to quit the program it takes forever to shut down and just gives me the spinning wheel.

In 4.6.4 I have none of those issues..

That would definitely be a different issue than what the original poster wrote about.

What kind of files are in the folder you're browsing?
How many files are in the folder you're browsing?

Would you be willing to run a logging version of Photo Mechanic so we can get to the bottom of this new issue?

3000 + files in the folders, primarily Canon RAW files (1Ds III)
No problem running a logging version, just let me know.

I've sent you a personal message that contains all of the details on the logging version and the procedure I need you to follow.  Click on the 'MY MESSAGES' tab at the top of this page to see your personal messages.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ciconia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 07:34:37 AM »
My 4.6.6 beta has expired. Do I have to return to 4.6.5, or can I download somewhere the completed 4.6.6?
Regards
Holger

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 08:18:15 AM »
Holger,

My 4.6.6 beta has expired. Do I have to return to 4.6.5, or can I download somewhere the completed 4.6.6?

Always check the Announcements section of the forums.  It is there that we announce releases and new betas.  You can get the newer 4.6.6 beta in the Announcements section of the forums.  The final 4.6.6 version has not been released yet.

-Kirk

Offline ciconia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:34 AM »
Thank you, Kirk. I have installed 4.6.6 beta2. No problems so far.
Regards
Holger

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »
Kirk -
4.6.6 betas - Are AMAZING to me. For the longest time I could not use Navigator in PM to rename or create directories. (Yes I posted it but you could not reproduce it)  Anything that had to do with drives & folders I did in explorer and went back to PM to do my editing. Just seeing my CF card readers was slow and ingesting was getting slower.
Since the problem with 4.6.5 was corrected many other issues I had, have gone away. 

It seems, but I don't want to speak too soon, that the Favorites issue ( disappearing, Not staying in place) I had also seems to be fixed

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You
Joe

Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »
Joe,

4.6.6 betas - Are AMAZING to me. For the longest time I could not use Navigator in PM to rename or create directories. (Yes I posted it but you could not reproduce it)  Anything that had to do with drives & folders I did in explorer and went back to PM to do my editing. Just seeing my CF card readers was slow and ingesting was getting slower.
Since the problem with 4.6.5 was corrected many other issues I had, have gone away. 

It seems, but I don't want to speak too soon, that the Favorites issue ( disappearing, Not staying in place) I had also seems to be fixed

I made no changes to the Favorites or Navigator in 4.6.6.  So I'm not sure why you've noticed improvements in those areas of PM.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »
I believe it is the changes you made regarding Norton -that seemed to be my main problem with 4.6.5 - but when that issue was resolved - all the others seem to  go away.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Rongway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
version 4.6.5 on Win 7 64bit with 8 gigs RAM 3.2hz AMD

My Photo Mechanic is also very very slow and hangs up and is especially slow to respond and react to clicks if I happen to navigate away from it to another application such as internet or photoshop or whatever, it doesn't matter.    Breezebrowser beats the pants off of PM currently... 

I don't know what to do. It has done this every since I bought the upgrade.  Prior to that I did not use it so much so not sure if the earlier version was doing it either.  I thought since it was so highly regarded I would try to use it more but inevetibly I return to Breezebrowser... 

Otherwise my computer smokes...   Where can I get the beta version?  Is this issue of slowness anti-virus related?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:58:06 PM by Rongway »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
version 4.6.5 on Win 7 64bit with 8 gigs RAM 3.2hz AMD

My Photo Mechanic is also very very slow and hangs up and is especially slow to respond and react to clicks if I happen to navigate away from it to another application such as internet or photoshop or whatever, it doesn't matter.    Breezebrowser beats the pants off of PM currently... 

I don't know what to do. It has done this every since I bought the upgrade.  Prior to that I did not use it so much so not sure if the earlier version was doing it either.  I thought since it was so highly regarded I would try to use it more but inevetibly I return to Breezebrowser... 

Otherwise my computer smokes...   Where can I get the beta version?  Is this issue of slowness anti-virus related?  Thanks.

Right here:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5888.0

Please try it and let me know how it works for you.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Rongway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I'll check it out and get back to ya....  I had clicked on the beta link yesterday after I posted and had looked around here some but the link was down.  It's downloading now.  cheers.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:29:04 PM by Rongway »