Author Topic: Code Replacement oddity  (Read 5317 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Code Replacement oddity
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
Not sure if it this is a Windows 4.6.4 issue or something already reported -- couldn't find anything on a forum search.

I have set up an IPTC step where I first put the competitor number into the {caption} field.  I then select all of the images, open IPTC editor and put {caption} into the SuppCat2 field (needed for a legacy look up process), \{caption}\ into SuppCat3, and finally \{caption}\_{caption} into the {instuctions} field.

When I select an individual image click on "I", everything has resolved nicely.  However, the preview I see on the contact sheet (showing caption, suppcat3, and Special Instructions) shows the SuppCat3 field as "\912\" (when the {caption} was set to competitor 912) while {instructions} shows up as "John Smith_912".

It appears that the code replacement in SuppCat3 is replacing the value for display purposes, but not as a permanent value.  Thus, I get the "\912\" in the Suppcat3 field instead of "John Smith".

I haven't updated to 4.6.5 yet, but wanted to see if this was a problem identified in the past or just something flakey happening to me.

Thanks.

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code Replacement oddity
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:24:47 AM »
Mike,

Not sure if it this is a Windows 4.6.4 issue or something already reported -- couldn't find anything on a forum search.

I have set up an IPTC step where I first put the competitor number into the {caption} field.  I then select all of the images, open IPTC editor and put {caption} into the SuppCat2 field (needed for a legacy look up process), \{caption}\ into SuppCat3, and finally \{caption}\_{caption} into the {instuctions} field.

When I select an individual image click on "I", everything has resolved nicely.  However, the preview I see on the contact sheet (showing caption, suppcat3, and Special Instructions) shows the SuppCat3 field as "\912\" (when the {caption} was set to competitor 912) while {instructions} shows up as "John Smith_912".

It appears that the code replacement in SuppCat3 is replacing the value for display purposes, but not as a permanent value.  Thus, I get the "\912\" in the Suppcat3 field instead of "John Smith".

I haven't updated to 4.6.5 yet, but wanted to see if this was a problem identified in the past or just something flakey happening to me.

I've never seen that one before.  Please try upgrading to 4.6.5 and let me know if the problem persists.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
Finally had a chance between shoots to stop and document this problem step-by-step.

I upgraded to 4.6.5 (Win XP) and the problem persists.

Here is what I do to recreate the problem.

1) I have a text replacement file with horse number (3 digits) and horse name (with "_" in place of any spaces in the name).  Saved as a tab delimited TXT file. I make sure it is the only code replacement file PM is using under "Settings".

2) I encode the horse number manually during post processing into the IPTC "caption" field.

3) After I have manually set the caption fields to the horse number for all images, I select all images and open the IPTC Stationary Pad (CTRL+I). I set my IPTC Stationary Pad values to:

Supp Cat 2 = {caption}
Supp Cat 3 = \{caption}\
Special Instructions = \{caption}\_{caption}

4) I then click "Apply Stationary to Selected".

5) PM runs and does its magic kung fu on the IPTC values.

6) When the update is complete, I click on the "i" button next to the thumbnail. Everything looks good.  Supp Cat 2 contains horse number, Supp Cat 3 contains horse name, and Special Instructions contains horse name concatenated with horse number with a "_" between them.

7). Now, here is where you can see the problem problem symptoms start.  When I press ESC on the keyboard while I have the ITPC Info panel openl, I get a "Changes have been made. Do you want to save your changes?".  Hmmmm, I didn't make any changes. I just opened the panel and then escaped out.  I wouldn't think there would be any changes being made.  (NOTE: at this point, if I do say "YES" to the dialog option, then the IPTC value for that image is correctly revised to reflect the code replacement).

8) To see the problem more clearly now, go into "Settings" and remove the TXT code replacement file.  Now go back into the IPTC Info panel for a fresh image (same contact sheet).  What I see now is

Supp Cat 2 - {caption} (e.g. 326)
Supp cat 3 - \(whatever the value of {caption} was\  (e.g. \326\ but should be "ZippyHorseName")
Special instructions - ZippyHorseName_326.

Soooooo, long explanation to an interesting problem.  If the code replacement file is set in Settings, Supp Cat 3 resolves fine.  As soon as you change it to something else or remove it, it not longer works correctly BUT the references for replacement in "Special instructions" works fine.

I can send you screen shots if you need more details.

Mike

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »
Were you able to recreate?

-M

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
Mike,

I haven't tried yet.  How about sending me the Code Replacement text file and your saved IPTC Stationery Pad file?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »
Thanks Mike, I got the email.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:39 PM »
Mike,

Yes.  You sir, have found a fairly obscure little bug.

I've fixed it and the fix will be in the next update to Photo Mechanic.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:11:48 AM »
PM is a solid, mature piece of software. The only bugs that we'll find are the obscure ones.

Thanks for the quick attention to this. General timeline for a point release that will include this?

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »
Mike,

PM is a solid, mature piece of software. The only bugs that we'll find are the obscure ones.

Thanks for the quick attention to this. General timeline for a point release that will include this?

We're readying a 4.6.6 update right now.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
Problem solved in 4.6.6 beta 1

-Mike

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
Kirk,

ETA on 4.6.6?

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Mike,

ETA on 4.6.6?

We'll either release it tomorrow or extend the beta again.

-Kirk