Author Topic: Category field compatibility with Photoshop  (Read 2036 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Category field compatibility with Photoshop
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
PM supports text in the Category field longer than three characters in NEF's, TIFF's, and JPG's.  However, if I take a TIFF or JPG and edit it in PS and save it as a JPG, the Category field is truncated to three characters (saving it as a TIFF preserves the field length).  No truncation occurs in Supp Cat fields.

So, just curious, are there some field length limits for IPTC fields that PS strictly enforces but that PM is more generous with?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Category field compatibility with Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
Deven,

PM supports text in the Category field longer than three characters in NEF's, TIFF's, and JPG's.  However, if I take a TIFF or JPG and edit it in PS and save it as a JPG, the Category field is truncated to three characters (saving it as a TIFF preserves the field length).  No truncation occurs in Supp Cat fields.

So, just curious, are there some field length limits for IPTC fields that PS strictly enforces but that PM is more generous with?

Yes, basically most all of the original IPTC fields have limits, but some of them are so large that you would never notice them in normal use.  For instance, I think (I'd have to look it up to have absolute certainty) the Caption field is limited to 2,000 characters.  PM would allow 65,535 characters because the 'count' for IPTC fields is 16-bits in size.

-Kirk