Author Topic: Ingest non-responsive on Snow Leopard  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Chrispy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest non-responsive on Snow Leopard
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »

I am using PM 4.5.4 in Mac OS 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) on a MacBook Pro (intel-based).

Ingest causes PM to become unresponsive.  Any solutions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest non-responsive on Snow Leopard
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »

I am using PM 4.5.4 in Mac OS 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) on a MacBook Pro (intel-based).

Ingest causes PM to become unresponsive.  Any solutions?

Photo Mechanic 4.5.x is not compatible with Snow Leopard.  Only the most recent 4.6.x versions of Photo Mechanic are compatible with Snow Leopard.  Version 4.6.5 is the current Photo Mechanic version.

The only solutions are to either upgrade to Photo Mechanic 4.6.5 or downgrade the OS to Leopard or Tiger if you wish to continue using version 4.5.4 of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline tlfphotog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
I am currently running PM 4.6.5 on a Powerbook laptop (pre-Intel).  recently, the app started becoming sluggish or unresponsive when ever I try to change functions, such as after editing and I try to transmit, it takes a few seconds to react.  while this is happening the CPU usage according to my Activity Monitor spikes then the app reacts.  Also when I am changing code replacement or ingesting when I click to proceed there is a delay 5-15 seconds long before the app responds.  Any suggestions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
I am currently running PM 4.6.5 on a Powerbook laptop (pre-Intel).  recently, the app started becoming sluggish or unresponsive when ever I try to change functions, such as after editing and I try to transmit, it takes a few seconds to react.  while this is happening the CPU usage according to my Activity Monitor spikes then the app reacts.  Also when I am changing code replacement or ingesting when I click to proceed there is a delay 5-15 seconds long before the app responds.  Any suggestions.

This is happening because PM is saving its preferences data when you execute each of these functions.  This is unrelated to the original poster's issue.  Prior versions of Photo Mechanic only saved their preferences when the application quit.  Because data loss could occur if PM were to crash before saving, vital information such as the current value of the sequence variable or the IPTC Stationery Pad's contents could be lost.

We may address this issue further and optimize how preferences data is saved, perhaps doing it on a background thread.

-Kirk

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »
Hi-I'm having the same issue on an Intel Mac 10.6.4 4g ram and 2.66 Ghz processor.  If I get out of PM to work on something else and then click back to an open contact sheet, I get spinning beach ball for anywhere between 15 to 45 secs.  Same issue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »
Hi-I'm having the same issue on an Intel Mac 10.6.4 4g ram and 2.66 Ghz processor.  If I get out of PM to work on something else and then click back to an open contact sheet, I get spinning beach ball for anywhere between 15 to 45 secs.  Same issue?

I don't know.  You can use the Activity Monitor to 'Sample' Photo Mechanic when it hangs on you.  If you then send me the 'Sample' text, I can look through it to see what PM was doing at the time.

-Kirk

Offline gasakawa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
Thanks.  I'll try that.  I saw that you have the 4.6.6 beta out and I downloaded and tried that and I'm not having that issue any more.  In fact, it's way faster than the previous version.  No beachball at all.