Author Topic: 4.6.1 download  (Read 5292 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
4.6.1 download
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »
I had to rebuild my system.  Where can I download PM 4.6.1?  I looked on the archive download page but there is only a limited selection there.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6.1 download
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »
I had to rebuild my system.  Where can I download PM 4.6.1?  I looked on the archive download page but there is only a limited selection there.

Is there a particular reason you need PM 4.6.1 over the 4.6.5 (current latest) version?

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »
two reasons: (a) it works for me; (b) I believe it is the most recent version for which I've actually paid :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:09 PM »
two reasons: (a) it works for me; (b) I believe it is the most recent version for which I've actually paid :-)

You're entitled to run the 4.6.5 version of Photo Mechanic since you're a 4.6.x user.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
Well I never!  Thanks for clarifying.  I thought it was a year's worth of updates, period.  I'll download the latest version and see what I've been missing...

Mike

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:39:34 AM »
Just a very (very) minor observation relating to installation.  I am running Vista Ultimate.  Vista Ultimate allows you to point your various data folders to another location, and I have them pointed these to folders on a separate drive to the OS.  This includes folders like Pictures, Documents, and Desktop.  It's the switching of the latter to another location that seems to trick PM during setup.  Instead of placing the desktop PM shortcut in the correct location (so that it instantly appears on the Desktop), PM seems to place it in the default C:\Users\UserName\Desktop.  In my case, my desktop is at S:\Users\UserName\Desktop.  Other installers seem to manage to place the shortcut in the correct location.

Mike

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »
I'm now trying to get back my settings.  Before trashing the old system I exported my PM 4.6.1 settings.  I'm now importing those back into PM 4.6.5, and it is saying: one or more items chosen for import exist locally and cannot be merged; would you like to replace the local items with the items being imported?

What does this really mean, and how would you recommend answering, so that I get back my setup as near as possible?

Also, it seems that other settings are stored under AppData (I'm on Vista), such as the saved preferences for the Ingest dialog.  I can see .snap files under IngestDialogSettings and IPTCDialogSettings.  I presume I can just copy those across to the new folder?

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks.

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Mike,

I'm now trying to get back my settings.  Before trashing the old system I exported my PM 4.6.1 settings.  I'm now importing those back into PM 4.6.5, and it is saying: one or more items chosen for import exist locally and cannot be merged; would you like to replace the local items with the items being imported?

What does this really mean, and how would you recommend answering, so that I get back my setup as near as possible?

Many settings are only a single value and cannot be merged.  Things like color class labels, colors, thumbnail labels, renaming strings, various dialog settings, etc. just don't make sense to merge.  Others like Keywords, Caption Writers, Photographers, Cities, States, etc. which are lists of items can be merged.

You really only have one choice, to replace or not.  If you think that the settings stored in your exported file are better than the local settings (which just may be defaults if you've just started anew) then choose to replace.

Quote from: drmrbrewer
Also, it seems that other settings are stored under AppData (I'm on Vista), such as the saved preferences for the Ingest dialog.  I can see .snap files under IngestDialogSettings and IPTCDialogSettings.  I presume I can just copy those across to the new folder?

Yes, but they should be stored in your exported settings file if you chose to export everything.  You can always backup the folder(s) so if you don't like the outcome you can restore them.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »
Thanks. I exported and imported everything, but there are no saved options in the ingest dialog after importing. I'll try the manual copy route for those.

Mike