Author Topic: problem with accented characters  (Read 4761 times)

Offline jielde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
problem with accented characters
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:42:51 AM »
system :windows XP SP3, photoshop CS5, XN view, acdSee Pro 2.5...

Dear Sir,

I use Photo Mechanic (4.6.2.1) with to encode IPTC in my pictures for the web.
In french we often use accented charachters like : é è à ô û.....  and also, like all photographers, ©
Usually it works properly, but sometimes it doesn't work, and I don't understand why.
For example, the printscreen here joined : I try to copy and past the IPTC from one picture to another.

I use Microsoft Latin1+euro ("write as unicode" or not, it doesn't change anything)
The charachters are right in PhotoMechanic, Photoshop, ACDSee, but false in xNView and... unfortunately on the website
Some examples on :
http://photo-daylight.be/photomechanic/stock.php?folder=stock/11_photomechanic

I can send you many other examples in a zip file.

Could you help me?

Thanks in advance

Jean-Luc Deru
DAYLIGHT
http://www.photo-daylight.com/portfolio.php

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: problem with accented characters
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
Jean-Luc,

I use Photo Mechanic (4.6.2.1) with to encode IPTC in my pictures for the web.
In french we often use accented charachters like : é è à ô û.....  and also, like all photographers, ©
Usually it works properly, but sometimes it doesn't work, and I don't understand why.
For example, the printscreen here joined : I try to copy and past the IPTC from one picture to another.

I use Microsoft Latin1+euro ("write as unicode" or not, it doesn't change anything)
The charachters are right in PhotoMechanic, Photoshop, ACDSee, but false in xNView and... unfortunately on the website
Some examples on :
http://photo-daylight.be/photomechanic/stock.php?folder=stock/11_photomechanic

Are you embedding IPTC and XMP?  If so, are xNView and your website using the IPTC data or the XMP data?

As for your website, does it specify a character encoding for the pages it serves?

-Kirk

Offline jielde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »
Hello Kirk,

Thanks for this quick response. I embed both IPTC and XMP. I join a printscreen with my preferences.
XNView works with IPTC and also with XMP and the charachters are false in the two tabs.
For my website, I don't know. I have to ask it to my webmaster (but here it's past midnight...)
But from yesterday, I walk round and round with the this problem and I had an idea : Before I had rarely this problem and I could always correct it, for instance by turn off photomechanic or the computer.
And now, it's impossible.
Meanwhile I have installed Phososhop CS5. Than I have made an experience by taking a original file with good IPTC and I resampled it first in CS3 (no problem) and then with CS5 and the problem appear.
And from this, it's impossible to correct the IPTC, even with over words. The accents are always false. See the two files attached.
I hope this additional informations would help you to find a solution...
Thanks a lot in advance.
Now, I go to bed

Jean-Luc

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:30 AM »
Jean-Luc,

Thanks for this quick response. I embed both IPTC and XMP. I join a printscreen with my preferences.
XNView works with IPTC and also with XMP and the charachters are false in the two tabs.
For my website, I don't know. I have to ask it to my webmaster (but here it's past midnight...)
But from yesterday, I walk round and round with the this problem and I had an idea : Before I had rarely this problem and I could always correct it, for instance by turn off photomechanic or the computer.
Meanwhile I have installed Phososhop CS5. Than I have made an experience by taking a original file with good IPTC and I resampled it first in CS3 (no problem) and then with CS5 and the problem appear.
And from this, it's impossible to correct the IPTC, even with over words. The accents are always false. See the two files attached.

I expect that the problem lies outside of Photo Mechanic.  The problem probably occurs when Photoshop modifies the file.  You may be able to correct this issue by using PM (after your Photoshop edits) to apply a 'do nothing' IPTC Stationery Pad to get PM to rewrite the IPTC and XMP metadata.  Just apply an IPTC Stationery Pad that clears out an unused IPTC field and PM will rewrite the metadata.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jielde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
Hello Kirk,

Yes probably. It's boring. Thank you adobe...
Thanks,

Jean-Luc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »
Jean-Luc,

Yes probably. It's boring. Thank you adobe...

Have you tried the method I suggested to repair the files?  It should work just fine.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:23:14 AM »
Jean-Luc,

I expect that the problem lies outside of Photo Mechanic.  The problem probably occurs when Photoshop modifies the file.  You may be able to correct this issue by using PM (after your Photoshop edits) to apply a 'do nothing' IPTC Stationery Pad to get PM to rewrite the IPTC and XMP metadata.  Just apply an IPTC Stationery Pad that clears out an unused IPTC field and PM will rewrite the metadata.

HTH,

-Kirk

Would the tools function "update IPTC/XMP" also correct this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
Jean-Luc,

Not unless he's got a RAW+JPEG pair.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:29:23 AM »
Jean-Luc,

-Kirk

So does the update function only work with RAW+JPEG pairs? I was wondering if I could use this function to update JPEG files that have been treated with different kinds of software prior to PM and conatain multiple IPTC records, so that afterwards all files have the same standard within the file, i.e. an upadated first IPTC record.
Nice would be to have a function that empties all prior multiple IPTC records and adds just the one I see in PM.
So far I could not figure out a workaround: if I use the tool "Delete Metadata" I lose all IPTC information and have to reapply each individual record manually.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:54:40 AM »
Jean-Luc,

-Kirk

So does the update function only work with RAW+JPEG pairs? I was wondering if I could use this function to update JPEG files that have been treated with different kinds of software prior to PM and conatain multiple IPTC records, so that afterwards all files have the same standard within the file, i.e. an upadated first IPTC record.
Nice would be to have a function that empties all prior multiple IPTC records and adds just the one I see in PM.
So far I could not figure out a workaround: if I use the tool "Delete Metadata" I lose all IPTC information and have to reapply each individual record manually.

That's correct.  The function only offers the ability to use either of the two paired images as the source for the metadata and the other as the destination for the synchronization.  A 'Normalize' function would be useful for the case you describe.  Make a feature request, please.

-Kirk