Author Topic: Cataloging - is it still under development?  (Read 37554 times)

Offline eja

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Cataloging - is it still under development?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
I'm anxiously waiting for this feature also.

Hope it comes soon.

EJ

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 04:34:23 AM »
Please don't be limited to 128,000 files or 2gb catalogue..... Please don't be limited to 128,000 files or 2gb catalogue..... Please don't be limited to 128,000 files or 2gb catalogue........  I'm still bearing the scars from another DAM product....
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »
Please don't be limited to 128,000 files or 2gb catalogue..... Please don't be limited to 128,000 files or 2gb catalogue..... Please don't be limited to 128,000 files or 2gb catalogue........  I'm still bearing the scars from another DAM product....

No, it doesn't have those limitations.

-Kirk

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »
Sold!  :)
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline vasha

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
With the new Media Pro 1 digital asset management app out today, some questions... Will Photo Mechanic "Catalog" as I'll call it here have a similar feature set, or will it offer more (or less) features? Would love to hear specifics as to how the two will compare/how Photo Mechanic Catalog will blow it out of the water/how Photo Mechanic Catalog will cost much less... Also, If I invest in Media One, will I be able to import its catalogs into the Photo Mechanic Catalog app, or will I need to start from scratch?

Thanks!

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 05:16:02 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I appreciate Camera Bits are working hard on their future cataloguing product, but I've been waiting for over 4 years for it to arrive!
BTW, we are going to have a cataloging module for Photo Mechanic at some point.

However, since spurning my staff job and turning freelance a year ago, the need to implement a decent cataloguing system is becoming increasingly imperative. But I only wanted to set a system up once, so as a fan of PM I've been postponing the task, waiting patiently to evaluate Camera Bits' application.

I also appreciate you can't comment on features, release dates and prices. But, do you have any guidance as to which of the currently available DAMs would allow the easiest switch-over to your future product?

All the very best.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
Vasha,

With the new Media Pro 1 digital asset management app out today, some questions... Will Photo Mechanic "Catalog" as I'll call it here have a similar feature set, or will it offer more (or less) features? Would love to hear specifics as to how the two will compare/how Photo Mechanic Catalog will blow it out of the water/how Photo Mechanic Catalog will cost much less... Also, If I invest in Media One, will I be able to import its catalogs into the Photo Mechanic Catalog app, or will I need to start from scratch?

I don't know what all of the features are that Phase One's product offers.  We're still adding features to ours.  I am pretty certain that our product will have some very unique features.  I am also certain that the initial version will not offer everything their product offers.  But it will be a work in progress just like PM and will mature nicely.

Pricing is undetermined.

As for switching from one cataloging product to ours, as long as the metadata gets updated in the files (internally or externally in XMP sidecars) then all it should take is an import operation in our product.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
Tony,

I also appreciate you can't comment on features, release dates and prices. But, do you have any guidance as to which of the currently available DAMs would allow the easiest switch-over to your future product?

As long as the product updates the actual files (internally or externally in XMP sidecar files) when you make metadata changes, then switching over should be as easy as importing your files into our catalog.

As for which products do that, I do not know.  I recommend looking into that before you purchase another product and begin using it.

-Kirk

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »
I'm excited.  I've been holding off awhile.  If it's this year, that's close.  Good luck.

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
As for switching from one cataloging product to ours, as long as the metadata gets updated in the files (internally or externally in XMP sidecars) then all it should take is an import operation in our product.

-Kirk

Kirk -- Do you know what products do that?  It looks like my short list of products is Aperture, Lightroom, and as a distant 3rd, Mediapro -- do you know which will update the metadata, and which ones will not?  (or am I about to get assigned a homework assignment ;-)

Ron

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »
Ron,

Kirk -- Do you know what products do that?  It looks like my short list of products is Aperture, Lightroom, and as a distant 3rd, Mediapro -- do you know which will update the metadata, and which ones will not?  (or am I about to get assigned a homework assignment ;-)

I know for certain that Aperture and Lightroom use XMP sidecar files for all RAW file types.  I would assume that they embed IPTC/XMP in TIFF, JPEG, DNG, and PSD files.

I think Phase One's Media One can work like PM and embed IPTC/XMP into RAW files if you desire.  At least that's what I heard.

To be certain, you should investigate for yourself.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:12 AM »

-Kirk

Ron

I currently use IDimager and it will update metadata in NEF files.  I think it will also work directly with Canon and some other raw formats but can't address that from personal experience.

Woodie

Offline Paul F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
I've only just discovered Photo Mechanic and it looks spectacular, but I really need a cataloging program to deal with 50k-ish images; not a lot by some peoples standards, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to manage! LOL!

What I wanted to know is, when the cataloging function finally arrives, will it be integrated into a new version of PM, or will it be a stand-alone product?

Thanks
Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »
Paul,

I've only just discovered Photo Mechanic and it looks spectacular, but I really need a cataloging program to deal with 50k-ish images; not a lot by some peoples standards, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to manage! LOL!

What I wanted to know is, when the cataloging function finally arrives, will it be integrated into a new version of PM, or will it be a stand-alone product?

It will be a fully integrated module to Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »
I, too, am keen for your DAM product to appear. I have IDimager but find it too demanding of my time and brain cells to keep the catalogue up to date. Something simple and robust, please.  8=)

Meanwhile, I use CDWinder to index my pictures (70K+). It's free, from here -- http://www.cdwinder.de/, so long as you limit yourself to 25 catalogues. I use two.

Roger
Roger Whitehead
Using PM 6.0, build 5376, under Windows 10 Home, version 20H2