Author Topic: Change to "Rename" function behavior  (Read 2667 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Change to "Rename" function behavior
« on: November 28, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »
Hi!

Low priority suggestion here.

I am using the {caption} field to store an order number for large batches of Team and Individual photos.  At various points, I copy the files into another folder in order to manipulate them into another form (buttons, memory mates, bag tags, etc).

Ideally, I would like to do a rename on the files with a rename string of "{caption} MM.jpg" for memory mates or "{caption} BagTag.jpg" for bag tags, etc.  Currently, the "OK" box is grayed out and inactive with this string.  I assume that it is because it doesn't think it will have a unique value.  In my use, Caption is always loaded with unique values.

Can you modify the rename behavior in the future to support this type of renaming?  Having a message at the end that says "x of y files could not be renamed" would be fine.

Thanks!

-Mike

Windows Version

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Change to "Rename" function behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:55:33 AM »
Mike,

I am using the {caption} field to store an order number for large batches of Team and Individual photos.  At various points, I copy the files into another folder in order to manipulate them into another form (buttons, memory mates, bag tags, etc).

Ideally, I would like to do a rename on the files with a rename string of "{caption} MM.jpg" for memory mates or "{caption} BagTag.jpg" for bag tags, etc.  Currently, the "OK" box is grayed out and inactive with this string.  I assume that it is because it doesn't think it will have a unique value.  In my use, Caption is always loaded with unique values.

Can you modify the rename behavior in the future to support this type of renaming?  Having a message at the end that says "x of y files could not be renamed" would be fine.

Not known if this would be possible at this time.  Could you just append the {seqn} variable onto your renaming string?

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:52:17 AM »
Kirk:

Couldn't the renaming function be set up to add the Renaming resolution as set up in preferences instead of having to rely on a sequencing variable? If there are no duplicates, then nothing would be added.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Couldn't the renaming function be set up to add the Renaming resolution as set up in preferences instead of having to rely on a sequencing variable? If there are no duplicates, then nothing would be added.

They do.  If there are a number of images using 'non-renaming' variables (like {caption}) that would likely result in a large number of duplicates, then the function is disabled until the renaming string is changed to be more unique.

-Kirk