Author Topic: Keywords  (Read 10216 times)

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
Keywords
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »
Just starting the learning curve with the trial version and cannot see my very basic question in the threads.
Having installed some test TIFFs & jpegs (derived from the same TIFFs & NEFs) I find that when I use 'Find' to search for keywords PM finds only the jpegs.
How do I search the same words for the TIFFs / what am I doing wrong?
Am I wrong to expect the find to work for keywords already embodied in my images. Do I need to enter them from within PM.
Sorry if its a stupid question, thanks for looking.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Dave,

Just starting the learning curve with the trial version and cannot see my very basic question in the threads.
Having installed some test TIFFs & jpegs (derived from the same TIFFs & NEFs) I find that when I use 'Find' to search for keywords PM finds only the jpegs.
How do I search the same words for the TIFFs / what am I doing wrong?
Am I wrong to expect the find to work for keywords already embodied in my images. Do I need to enter them from within PM.
Sorry if its a stupid question, thanks for looking.

How did your keywords get into your TIFF files?  If you view the IPTC Info (click the 'i' button that appears when you put your mouse cursor over an image) on one of your TIFFs that you expect to have specific keywords in them, do you indeed see keywords in the Keywords field?  If not, then PM isn't going to find them.

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »
TIFF keywords are in Capture NX2 XMP/IPTC where they are added as are keywords in jpegs. Obviously agree they dont appear in PM IPTC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »
Dave,

TIFF keywords are in Capture NX2 XMP/IPTC where they are added as are keywords in jpegs. Obviously agree they dont appear in PM IPTC

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?  Do the keywords exist in the TIFF files themselves?  Are they in the TIFFs but in some sort of non-standard format?

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
Kirk, sorry dont have your/much knowledge of IPTC etc, I use Capture NX2 for editing and add keywords there to both types of files, never thought about it until I wanted to find a program that would find keywords and people on Nikonians pointed me to your site. The jpeg keywords do appear in PM under the I. NX2 has the facility to just add them, I store TIFF (via NEF) and produce jpegs as when required. probably I have the wrong end of the stick and they dont go anywhere from NX2?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:14 PM »
Kirk, sorry dont have your/much knowledge of IPTC etc, I use Capture NX2 for editing and add keywords there to both types of files, never thought about it until I wanted to find a program that would find keywords and people on Nikonians pointed me to your site. The jpeg keywords do appear in PM under the I. NX2 has the facility to just add them, I store TIFF (via NEF) and produce jpegs as when required. probably I have the wrong end of the stick and they dont go anywhere from NX2?

If you want to send me a sample TIFF file (and tell me what some of the keywords it contains are) then I'd be happy to look into it for you.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
If I have a NEF open in Capture NX2, edit the keywords, and then "Save as..." a JPG and/or TIFF from Capture NX2, both the NEF and TIFF show the same keywords and IPTC data in PM 4.6.7 under Win Vista 64.

If you are using PM, though, it is easier to edit the keywords in PM. You can edit them in one file or the other, then copy and paste into the other. If you are viewing the JPG and NEF joined, the changes will automatically be reflected in both.

You also want to make sure you have the PM preferences set for maximum CNX compatibility. Attached is a screen shot of my settings.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:36:21 AM »
Thanks for that, thats what I thought would happen but I am green at most things outside of NX2. (I have Win 7 64 bit - dont think that matters)
Appreciate what you have said about PM, didnt want to go too far during thre trial period until I get some of the basic questions out of the way.
ps just had a thought which I should have mentioned to Kirk - When I upload to a picture agency, occasionally some keywords do not appear at their end and I have to enter manually (which their site allows for)
But this is sporadic and usually not a problem, ticking their IPTC keywords box prior to upload works OK as a rule.

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:38 AM »
I have found with time that if I add keywords etc within either PM or NX2 to the RAW NEF and then create a TIF the info remains in the TIF. To get that info into my original TIFs (which do show that info if viewed in Windows gallery 'Properties') it is neccasary to go back to the RAW Master from within PM /NX2 and create the TIF again. Now the info can be seen in the TIF in PM.
Something else very odd happens - previously to PM I used to view my images in Windows Gallery (Fastpicture viewer codec) by right clicking properties of an image I could add 'lens maker' and 'lens type' for example and I also used to add something in the subject line. This information has been remove from my images since I got PM as as some titles etc even though those are still present when viewed in PM.
This is a shame as I find Win Viewer an excellent way of initially looking at my CF card and deleting the rubbish before trasnfferring wanted files into my system. I see no point in opening complex programs when there is such a good basic sorting program built in. Simply right clicking properties one can see all the image info, this facility seems to have gone in part.
Where in PM can I add the Lens details? I can see where the lens setting eg 40mm appears in PM Preview but I would like to see  for example 'Nikon 24-120mm' as well ie the lens used.
Sorry if I am missing the point still very much a learner but have now made the purchase from the Demo.
Thanks.

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 02:54:18 AM »
ps, mklass - I notice that one of your Preference Settings is different to the PM manual on page 150 'Capture NX2 Settings' I wonder what difference this would make?

i.e.

Manual page 150 on the right of page "if sidecar files exist, add and / or update with IPTC4XMP"

mklass NX2 settings screenshot "if XMP sidecar files exist only update IPTC4XMP if present"

Not a critism (I havent a clue anyway) just wondered???

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:28 AM »
ps, mklass - I notice that one of your Preference Settings is different to the PM manual on page 150 'Capture NX2 Settings' I wonder what difference this would make?

i.e.

Manual page 150 on the right of page "if sidecar files exist, add and / or update with IPTC4XMP"

mklass NX2 settings screenshot "if XMP sidecar files exist only update IPTC4XMP if present"

Not a critism (I havent a clue anyway) just wondered???

The difference would be small (though my preference would be the version in the manual). For mklass, PM only updates the IPTC information in the sidecar if it were present (e.g., set by Lightroom, Bridge, Photoshop, …). In case of the settings as suggested in the manual, the sidecar would always get the (new) IPTC info (which would then in turn allow Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. to read it).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:03 AM »
Hi, Hayo
Although I use DPP to edit my files (and don't generally like to use Photoshop to edit my photos, unless absolutely necessary), I set PM according to the manual, just in case...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi