Author Topic: How to find exact phrases?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to find exact phrases?
« on: October 04, 2006, 12:40:48 PM »
I'm currently trying to clean up my keywording and would like to be able to find images that contain a specific name (e.g. "John Smith") in the Keyword field. I'm running PM v.4.4.3.3 on WinXP.

Using the "Find" function looking for John Smith, PM returns images that have "John" and "Smith" somewhere in the Keyword field, though not necessarily in that precise phrase.

As an example, consider two images with the following keywords:
1. John, Bob Smith
2. John Smith, Bob Smith

A "Find" looking for John Smith will return both images, whereas I'm interested only in #2 (which has "John Smith" as a contiguous phrase).

I tried putting quotes around the words in the "Find" field, but it returned zero results. Presumably it's looking for the actual quotation mark characters.

Kirk, if it is not currently possible to search for an exact phrase, perhaps it's something to consider for a future version?

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to find exact phrases?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:20:05 PM »
Kevin,

I'm currently trying to clean up my keywording and would like to be able to find images that contain a specific name (e.g. "John Smith") in the Keyword field. I'm running PM v.4.4.3.3 on WinXP.

Using the "Find" function looking for John Smith, PM returns images that have "John" and "Smith" somewhere in the Keyword field, though not necessarily in that precise phrase.

As an example, consider two images with the following keywords:
1. John, Bob Smith
2. John Smith, Bob Smith

A "Find" looking for John Smith will return both images, whereas I'm interested only in #2 (which has "John Smith" as a contiguous phrase).

I tried putting quotes around the words in the "Find" field, but it returned zero results. Presumably it's looking for the actual quotation mark characters.

Kirk, if it is not currently possible to search for an exact phrase, perhaps it's something to consider for a future version?

Unfortunately, it is not possible.  The Find tokenizes each word and then looks for each word separately.  We would need an "Exact Phrase" option.

-Kirk

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: How to find exact phrases?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:03:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Kirk.

Kevin