Author Topic: NX2 & PM  (Read 25444 times)

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
NX2 & PM
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:53:53 AM »
I have an outstanding problem which has been going on since I bought PM some months ago, getting desperate now and will probably uninstal PM. (appreciate it may not be PM fault)

Could anyone who uses Nikon Capture NX2 and PM (latest versions of both) please point me at latest preference settings for both programmes IPTC/XMP data? There seems to be different setting versions floating about.

I am a simple user, I use NX2 but bought PM as I wanted a better way of entering data and keywords. Thats about my limit technically, I want to import NEF into PM add keywords and data, IPTC/XMP keywords, object name etc and then open the NEF into NX2 from PM and produce TIFF & JPEG with the data embedded - thats it.

Now NX2 metadata menu sees all the entries no problem, but PM invariably does not ie the boxes are empty for TIFF files when they are reopened inPM, no keywords no object name no copyright name nothing.
Very confusing dont know where I am do I accept that all is well as it appears from NX2 or is it really missing?
Very odd as sometimes I can enter and save the data with PM sometimes I cannot, but irrespective to that it is not likely to be seen in PM at later date.
Have asked for help before this is last bid just in case my preferences are not correct.

Thank you for your patience.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: NX2 & PM
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:31:55 AM »
I have an outstanding problem which has been going on since I bought PM some months ago, getting desperate now and will probably uninstal PM. (appreciate it may not be PM fault)

Could anyone who uses Nikon Capture NX2 and PM (latest versions of both) please point me at latest preference settings for both programmes IPTC/XMP data? There seems to be different setting versions floating about.

I am a simple user, I use NX2 but bought PM as I wanted a better way of entering data and keywords. Thats about my limit technically, I want to import NEF into PM add keywords and data, IPTC/XMP keywords, object name etc and then open the NEF into NX2 from PM and produce TIFF & JPEG with the data embedded - thats it.

Now NX2 metadata menu sees all the entries no problem, but PM invariably does not ie the boxes are empty for TIFF files when they are reopened inPM, no keywords no object name no copyright name nothing.
Very confusing dont know where I am do I accept that all is well as it appears from NX2 or is it really missing?
Very odd as sometimes I can enter and save the data with PM sometimes I cannot, but irrespective to that it is not likely to be seen in PM at later date.

Is the issue happening for all of the file types you listed (NEF, TIFF, JPEG)?  Or just output files from NX2 (TIFF, JPEG)?

Would you mind posting screen shots of your General, Files, and IPTC/XMP sections of your Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:54:13 AM »
Thanks for replying, didnt want to plague you again as you helped some time ago, I thought the problem had gone away but it has not. I did wonder if it was something missing in NX2 communication wise.
please find screen jpegs, I think the preferences one is as discussed with member Mick some time ago.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
ps forgot to answer your qustion - applies only to TIFFs which have been produced from raw (NEF) in NX2. I open the RAW image in PM first to add data then select NX2 from within PM. jpegs are not a problem all metadata etc can be viewed in NX2 & PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:39 AM »
ps forgot to answer your qustion - applies only to TIFFs which have been produced from raw (NEF) in NX2. I open the RAW image in PM first to add data then select NX2 from within PM. jpegs are not a problem all metadata etc can be viewed in NX2 & PM.

Can you post one of your TIFF files so I can take a look at it?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your TIFF file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
Kirk sorry not sure how to send as a TIFF because of its size and limit?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »
Kirk sorry not sure how to send as a TIFF because of its size and limit?

Can you scale one down?  Post a smaller one.

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »
Very small TIFF attached?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »
Had to go from about 45MB to 1.45MB 600X377 pixels for the site to accept it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
Had to go from about 45MB to 1.45MB 600X377 pixels for the site to accept it.

OK, well the key thing was to have the metadata in the file (which it does.)

I'm not sure what Capture NX2 is trying to do, but it put one IPTC record and two XMP records into the TIFF file.  One XMP record (the first one) is in the first image file descriptor and has your data in it.  The second one appears to be for the thumbnail and it is completely empty.

PM is finding the offset and size of the first XMP record just fine, but the offset and size are later overwritten when PM encounters the second XMP record.  I'll have to check with Dennis to see what he wants to do about this.

-Kirk

Offline Dave J

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
Thanks Kirk partially follow but a bit deep for me. Possibly there is some hidden problem with NX2 although I have tried reinstalling and it is an official latest version. Also its own metedata/xmp seems OK and when PM has inserted data NX2 sees it OK.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 01:14:03 PM »
Hmm, I use PM and NX2 extensively and never had the problems you describe. It must be something in your setup I guess. Note that I usually only update iptc/xmp within PM though.

Hope you get it working on your end as PM and NX2 are a great combination!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline plambrou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »
I also use PM and NX2 and do not have that problem.

Mac PPC 10.5.8
D700 NEF
PM 4.6.8
NX2 2.2.8

I just developed a NEF to verify and all is well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »
Is there some sort of preference in Capture NX2 for TIFFs that will omit the thumbnail?  If so, I bet it would eliminate the second XMP data chunk.

-Kirk

Offline plambrou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »
In NX2 Preferences XMP/IPTC Presets if a box is checked and the field is empty it will erase what was there before.
I have only my contact info items checked since I want them in every file.

Quote from NX2:

"Field Editor

The field editor displays all of the available fields and contents for an XMP/IPTC preset. Enter the values you would like to automatically apply through the XMP/IPTC preset. After entering a value, the checkbox for that field as well as for the section will be turned on. Only those fields with a checkbox next to them will be added to an image when the XMP/IPTC preset is applied to an image or group of images.
To prevent a field from being modified by the XMP/IPTC preset, uncheck the box for that field.
To clear a field in an image or group of images, delete the content of that field in the field editor and check the box. This will result in a blank field with a checkbox next to it, indicating that when this XMP/IPTC preset is applied to an image, that image will have a blank field for the corresponding field. This is helpful if you would like to clear away one or more XMP/IPTC fields in an image or group of images."