Author Topic: Upgrades when PM5 ships.  (Read 4115 times)

Offline nevetsokyeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • steven noreyko :: photographer
Upgrades when PM5 ships.
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
A quick question about upgrade/update policy.

If I update/upgrade my older version of Photo Mechanic (4.5.x) today, I get one year of free updates. Does this include the major update from v4.x to v5.x?

In other words - should I expect to get a free update to v5 if I upgrade today and v5 ships within the next 12 months?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upgrades when PM5 ships.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:33:02 PM »
A quick question about upgrade/update policy.

If I update/upgrade my older version of Photo Mechanic (4.5.x) today, I get one year of free updates. Does this include the major update from v4.x to v5.x?

In other words - should I expect to get a free update to v5 if I upgrade today and v5 ships within the next 12 months?

Yes, you would be eligible for an upgrade to version 5.  You wouldn't get the Catalog version as a free upgrade.  We are going to offer two versions of Photo Mechanic:

Photo Mechanic v5
Photo Mechanic Catalog v5

You would be eligible to upgrade to Photo Mechanic v5 at no charge.  If you wanted the Catalog version there would be an additional fee.  The additional fee amount has not yet been determined.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »
So Photo Mechanic Catalog will have all of the features of Photo Mechanic plus cataloging? We'll only need one app, not both to have cataloging capability?

Offline nevetsokyeron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • steven noreyko :: photographer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
So Photo Mechanic Catalog will have all of the features of Photo Mechanic plus cataloging? We'll only need one app, not both to have cataloging capability?

Or to ask that another way - so we would just need to buy an "upgrade" to Catalog which enables those features in the same app with a new/different serial number?

Last thought - will CameraBits be selling *both* versions ( PM and PMC) when v5 ships? Or will Catalog be the only version going forward?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »

PM Catalog is a single application.  It runs multiple processes, but there is a single unified user interface.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »

Or to ask that another way - so we would just need to buy an "upgrade" to Catalog which enables those features in the same app with a new/different serial number?

Correct.

Quote from: nevetsokyeron
Last thought - will CameraBits be selling *both* versions ( PM and PMC) when v5 ships? Or will Catalog be the only version going forward?

Both versions are planned to be available for the foreseeable future.  Some people don't want cataloging in any shape or form in their Photo Mechanic.  We want to keep those people happy as well.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 07:00:58 AM »
Kirk,
Speaking of this, what would be the downside of having PM with the catalogue feature?
TIA,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:22:39 AM »
Luiz,

Speaking of this, what would be the downside of having PM with the catalogue feature?

There should be no downsides.  Non-engineer types of people just think that if you add features to an application it always gets slower.  We'll make sure that doesn't happen.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:46:38 AM »
Luiz,

There should be no downsides.  Non-engineer types of people just think that if you add features to an application it always gets slower.  We'll make sure that doesn't happen.

-Kirk

So keeping the non catalog enabled version is more like a psychological solution to already existing complaints of the type "don't make PM slower with features we don't need".
,-))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 06:21:54 AM »
Luiz,

-Kirk

So keeping the non catalog enabled version is more like a psychological solution to already existing complaints of the type "don't make PM slower with features we don't need".
,-))
Ues, I guess so...
But what would be the difference in price tag between the two versions (approximately)?
TIA

-Luiiz Muzzi