Author Topic: Viewing Capture Date: Contact Sheet  (Read 5641 times)

Offline 1access

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Viewing Capture Date: Contact Sheet
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
Imac/Snowleopard/Latest PM

Hello, I would like to view the capture date in the contact sheet/proofing view without having to click on the I button to bring up the whole box.  Is there a way to import images with the capture date as the file name without individually inputting the date for each day's photos?  Or alternately, is there a way to have the capture date show on all images in the grid (contact sheet) automatically?  I'm probably not using the correct vocabulary as a new PM user, but I'm hoping someone can figure out what I'm talking about. 

Thanks so much! :)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Viewing Capture Date: Contact Sheet
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Sure, you can do both.

I suggest you download the manual (in the downloads section) and read it, it's well worth it. Especially the sections on variables, which are very powerful in Photo Mechanic.

In PM you can have up to three info labels below each contact sheet thumbnail. Using PM's number of variables, these can show whatever information you want, of course including the date:

Just go to preferences, contact sheet, and there set Labels: to Filename + 1 label.
In the field below, you can now enter the text including variables you want to show. Enter {date} (including the quotes). You can click variables... button to see a list of all posible variables and their explanation, there are also different formats of the dates and times you might want to use.

For renaming, same variables can be used, either manually, or even during Ingest, to rename your photos for the filename to include date and time taken in some nice format for sorting plus the original filename's photo number.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
You can alse see the capture date with the Info Tips.
First, in the Edit Menu, choose Settings, Set Info Text and select all the info you would like to see (page 130 of the manual).
Second, in the View Menu, choose Show Info Tips (page 132 of the manual).
That's it!
HTH

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline 1access

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:17:32 AM »
Thank you both so much for helping a newbie out with the exact applicable steps and options. Hugely helpful!

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
Frantisek and Luiz have mentioned two options. There is a third which will appear for all the photos in a contact sheet while not using your label options. Open the Ingest dialog. Near the lower right hand corner, you'll see a box labeled "Rename Ingested Photos As". Check the box and fill in the box as follows: Name_{Year4}_{Month0}_{Day0}_{frame4}. You can add {Time} if desired. All dates/time will be applied automatically.  Be sure to use the curly brackets. Now you can use Labels 1,2 and 3 for other functions such as caption, camera/lens model, shooting info as well. Richard

Offline 1access

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:47:37 AM »
Thanks, Richard. Very nifty option that will allow me to accomplish 2 steps Ordering/Renaming in one process.  Much appreciation!