Author Topic: Lenstype data for Manual Lenses  (Read 4492 times)

Offline arnklit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lenstype data for Manual Lenses
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
I wonder if anyone can help me with the following:
I use several MF lenses, both by Nikon and Zeiss. I set them up on the D3s and correctly get the focal length in the {lens} variable (for example 28, 35, 100) but in the {lenstype} variable I always get (not surprisingly) "0mm f/0". What I would like to do is to assign manually, either during ingest or through selection, the correct lens description but I'm not sure how to do it, or what would be the best way to do it.
As a workaround I often select images based on focal length, and usually it is enough to distinguish the lenses, but where I have more than one lens with the same focal length I have no way to distinguish them, eg Nikon 35mm vs Zeiss 35mm, or 28/f2 vs 28/f2.8

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards, Bo Arnklit

Offline Ricky C

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Lenstype data for Manual Lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
Bo,

Someone here might have a technical workaround answer for u,
However u could always do something crazy like take a photo of your shoe before using the 28/2, pants for 28/2.8, hand for Nikon 35 and shirt for Zeiss.
So when ingesting u can separate images.
Just a thought

Ricky

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lenstype data for Manual Lenses
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »
Bo,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the following:
I use several MF lenses, both by Nikon and Zeiss. I set them up on the D3s and correctly get the focal length in the {lens} variable (for example 28, 35, 100) but in the {lenstype} variable I always get (not surprisingly) "0mm f/0". What I would like to do is to assign manually, either during ingest or through selection, the correct lens description but I'm not sure how to do it, or what would be the best way to do it.
As a workaround I often select images based on focal length, and usually it is enough to distinguish the lenses, but where I have more than one lens with the same focal length I have no way to distinguish them, eg Nikon 35mm vs Zeiss 35mm, or 28/f2 vs 28/f2.8

You'd have to use something like ExifTool to modify (insert) lens information for manual lenses.  Photo Mechanic does not offer such a feature.

-Kirk