Author Topic: searching a network drive not working  (Read 3134 times)

Offline jeffyr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
searching a network drive not working
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »
I am on a mac running 10.7.3 and PM 4.6.8.

I am trying to come up with a workflow so our marketing department can search for photos in a "drop" folder on a network drive. I have my IPTC data filled in, and the searches work on my local drive, but when I upload the folder to the network drive the same search comes up with no hits. I tried copying the folder from the network drive back to my local and the search worked again. I can browse the images on the network drive, and can even write to the files within photo mechanic. It seems to be just the search that is not working.

Any suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: searching a network drive not working
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »
I am on a mac running 10.7.3 and PM 4.6.8.

I am trying to come up with a workflow so our marketing department can search for photos in a "drop" folder on a network drive. I have my IPTC data filled in, and the searches work on my local drive, but when I upload the folder to the network drive the same search comes up with no hits. I tried copying the folder from the network drive back to my local and the search worked again. I can browse the images on the network drive, and can even write to the files within photo mechanic. It seems to be just the search that is not working.

Any suggestions?

Photo Mechanic uses Spotlight to perform its searches.  Perhaps Spotlight isn't indexing your network drive?

-Kirk

Offline jeffyr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
Can you tell me if the same thing will happen on a PC? My plan was to get PM for the PC's in marketing so they can search my folders of images with IPTC data.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
Can you tell me if the same thing will happen on a PC? My plan was to get PM for the PC's in marketing so they can search my folders of images with IPTC data.

The Windows version of PM currently has no search facility whatsoever.

-Kirk

Offline jeffyr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Not the answer I was hoping for, but thank you for a definitive answer never the less.