Author Topic: Tagging disappears after editing in Photoshop  (Read 1669 times)

Offline davidyoung

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • davidyoungphoto
Tagging disappears after editing in Photoshop
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:33:17 AM »
Just a query that I'm hoping has a simple answer.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.8 and I run Mac OS X 10.7.3 on my Intel-based Mac.

I ingest Canon CR2 Raw files and tag a few of them for editing/transmission - open them in Photoshop and crop/save - they lose the tagging - is this normal? and can I change a setting to keep them tagged when saved as jpeg+RAW from Photoshop?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tagging disappears after editing in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:55:02 AM »
David,

Are you having PM write out XMP (either as sidecar files or embedded into the RAW file)?  If not, you'll need to do that by setting PM to do so in the IPTC/XMP section of the PM Preferences dialog.
You'll also want to cause PM to do the same for writing non-RAW files like JPEGs.  And you'll want to make the equivalent changes on the 'Reading' side of that panel.  Prefer XMP over IPTC.

Also in the Files section of the PM Preferences dialog set the popup menu labeled 'Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:' to read "For all photos"

These settings will cause PM to put soft edits like tag, rating and color class in metadata that Adobe's software will preserve.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline davidyoung

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • davidyoungphoto
Re: Tagging disappears after editing in Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
Cheers Kirk, took me a while to getting around to doing this but it works - ta  :)