Author Topic: PM v5 beta -- slow startup and ingest  (Read 4034 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
PM v5 beta -- slow startup and ingest
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:38:09 AM »
Just trying out v5 beta, and am soon finding that a couple of aspects that are very very slow compared to v4.

Firstly, the splash screen stays up for an absolute age (2.5 minutes) before eventually getting through to the application.

Secondly, ingesting seems to take far far longer.  It just took six minutes to ingest 65 D200 NEFs.

Also, though I'm not sure about this yet, it seems to take a little longer for an image to render fully (the rough preview comes up quickly, but the sharp image doesn't appear as quickly as it did in v5).  Again, not sure on this yet... may not be the case.

Am happy to help with working out what is causing this. 

I do store my images on a network drive, which I know will only impact response times negatively, but my experience of using PM4 with the network drive was fine... not quite as snappy when reading and rendering images as when on a local drive, but still perfectly useable (particularly since PM seems to "look ahead" and cache the next image in line).

I'm on Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM v5 beta -- slow startup and ingest
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:25:07 AM »
Do you have time to test with logging versions of PM5?  If so, I'll do my part to find out why you're having speed problems.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:50:38 AM »
Sure.  Let me know where to get the logging version and I'll give it a go.

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:34:01 AM »
Still waiting for the logging version, if you're not snowed under with other issues...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »
Still waiting for the logging version, if you're not snowed under with other issues...

Yes, I'm sorry but I am swamped right now.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:14:19 PM »
Kirk

Perhaps once support issues relating to the final release of v5 have settled down, would it be possible to look at this issue reported here?  I'm still seeing this, even with the release candidate.  The splash screen stayed up for 2 mins 20 secs when I opened the RC version a moment ago, and ingesting still takes forever.  This isn't the case with v4.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Mike,

Perhaps once support issues relating to the final release of v5 have settled down, would it be possible to look at this issue reported here?  I'm still seeing this, even with the release candidate.  The splash screen stayed up for 2 mins 20 secs when I opened the RC version a moment ago, and ingesting still takes forever.  This isn't the case with v4.

When I saw all of your posts on this thread: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7384.0

...I figured that this speed issue had gone away.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
'fraid not :)  But I figure I must be the only one with this issue because I see nobody else whingeing about it here :)

Mike

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:18:54 AM »
Check your Photo Mechanic cache, I bet it's rather full.
I frequently visit large (nested) folders and this makes my cache grow rather large at times causing slow startup. I suggest you clean the cache and see if it helps.

Regarding the ingest, I have not experienced any issue and find it just as fast (faster?) as before. Could be a problem with your card/reader or just bigger amounts of data.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline bonecrusher

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
I downloaded the PM v5 beta today and ingested cards several times throughout the day, every one of the cards ingested really slow...more than one second for each image to ingest.   Finally, using the same reader, I used Windows Explorer and just copied a couple of cards into a folder, it went much much faster, as fast as ingesting in PM 4.6.9 has been taking the last few days.   I am running Windows 7 on a Dell Latitude laptop.