Author Topic: PM Beta 5 video issues  (Read 17836 times)

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
PM Beta 5 video issues
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:01:52 AM »
With Nikon D7000 video files, I get a "can't render" message in the thumbnails, although the video will play in the large preview window.  Also, as I click on to view and play these videos, I get additional, bouncing PM icons in the Mac dock.  After having to force quit PM 5 Beta,  I have to force quit each of these additional bouncing icons.  I have no issues with these files in Final Cut Pro X, Premiere Pro CS6, or Phase One's Media Pro.

Mac 10.7.4

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Beta 5 video issues
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »
Can you post a screen shot of what all of this looks like?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »
Here you go.Let me know if you need anything else. 

Peter

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »
Peter,

Here you go.Let me know if you need anything else. 

Could I get a sample video from you?  A short one should be fine.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your movie file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
The smallest clip I have is under 10 MB, but the system says it is too large to upload to the forum.  Do you have another email that might accept the larger file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
The smallest clip I have is under 10 MB, but the system says it is too large to upload to the forum.  Do you have another email that might accept the larger file?

I'll contact you privately with FTP server info.

-Kirk

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
I have uploaded a small clip from the folder that I was trying to view in PM 5, DSC0028.MOV

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Peter,

I have uploaded a small clip from the folder that I was trying to view in PM 5, DSC0028.MOV

Thanks.  I have received the file and have duplicated it four times.  I can view the movies as thumbnails without issue.  The movie itself plays just fine without incident.

Can you reproduce the problem with the small clip or does it take a longer clip to reproduce the issue?

-Kirk

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 05:04:29 AM »
Yes, I get the same result with the short clip I sent you, that is, that there is no thumbnail, but the clip plays fine in the preview.  With just this one clip in a folder, I can quit PM normally.  However, with multiple clips in a folder, I get the multiple icon thing and the spinning beach ball when I try to quit PM.  I have to force quit PM and then the additional icons after PM quits. 

Offline Tom Parkes 2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
Kirk, might this be related to the issue I mentioned in passing in another thread? My D4 .mov thumbnails are not rendering in quite a few cases until I mouse over them.

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 07:16:23 AM »
Mousing over does not render the D7000 .mov files on my Mac.  Also, it is not just the camera files, but also the h.264 files exported from Final Cut for Vimeo.  ProRes 422 files show up just fine.

When I open a folder with multiple video files (h.264) and get the bouncing icon thing, I also get the spinning beachball.  If I force quit the extra icons, I can proceed normally with PM, either to quit or choose another folder to look at.

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 07:23:03 AM »
Also, I downloaded the Beta 2 and there is no change in this issue.

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
Peter,

I made no changes in Beta 2 to fix this issue because I am unable to reproduce this issue on my development system.

PM5 uses a small command-line program that I wrote to render frames from movies.  It is called VideoRender and it is contained within the PM5 application package.  If it is failing to complete its work then eventually PM5 will hang up because the Cache worker threads will all be busy at some point, waiting for each VideoRender instance to return its data.

When you see those multiple icons in the Dock, when you mouse over them, what are their application names?
Do you have any special codecs installed on your system? (I have only the ones that Mac OS X 10.6 comes with)

If you want to upload some D4 movies and the Vimeo files, maybe those will fail to render for me.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
I have uploaded a copy of the same file I sent before, but exported for Vimeo.   

_DSC0028-X264 1080p 5mbps.mov

I am mostly using the X264 encoder rather than the stock Apple version and exporting using Compressor 4.0.4 and Adobe Media encoder 5.5.

(http://realworldvideocompression.com/rwvc/2010/5/7/using-x264-plugin-in-compressor.html)

I have both Premiere Pro and Final Cut X installed, with whatever codecs they come with.  Also, I have the GoPro Cineform codecs installed.

The extra bouncing icons say Photo Mechanic when I mouse-over them.  I have to force quit them and PM after playing the video in the preview with the file I sent.  If you need something longer, let me know.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Peter,

Is this the X264 codec you're using?

http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/x264Encoder.dmg

Thanks,