Author Topic: Access Violation  (Read 3882 times)

Offline bwoodward

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Access Violation
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:46:01 AM »
I'm attempting to evaluate PM 4.4.3.3 but PM dies immediately at startup with what the crash log says is an access violation. PM goes straight from opening splash to the "encountered a problem" dialog. The UI is never displayed. I have attached the error dialog info below.

I'm running WinXP SP2 and I have a persumablly valid PM demo code.

I've seen mostly good reviews of PM and Camera Bits level of support, however, I must say that my experience so far doesn't seem to match. Trying to do an eval, can't even get the program to start, little or no useful info to help debug problem. So I sent the error report dumps to support@camerabits.com about a 5 days ago and have not gotten any response. To make matters worse, the email address used by the "encountered a problem" dialog seems to be invalid.

I thought I give it one last try .....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Access Violation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:24:09 AM »
I'm attempting to evaluate PM 4.4.3.3 but PM dies immediately at startup with what the crash log says is an access violation. PM goes straight from opening splash to the "encountered a problem" dialog. The UI is never displayed. I have attached the error dialog info below.

I'm running WinXP SP2 and I have a persumablly valid PM demo code.

I've seen mostly good reviews of PM and Camera Bits level of support, however, I must say that my experience so far doesn't seem to match. Trying to do an eval, can't even get the program to start, little or no useful info to help debug problem. So I sent the error report dumps to support@camerabits.com about a 5 days ago and have not gotten any response. To make matters worse, the email address used by the "encountered a problem" dialog seems to be invalid.

I thought I give it one last try .....

I'm sorry you are having difficulties in getting Photo Mechanic to run on your system.  I looked at the information in the crash log you posted and it appears that the folder browser component (we call it the Navigator) is crashing on startup.

If you would like to contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message, you can give me your name, phone number and a best time to call and I (or someone else from the development team) will call you to assist you with this issue.

-Kirk

Offline bwoodward

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:08:31 PM »
Thanks to Kirk and KBell this problem has been solved. Kathy called me very promptly and mentioned pst issues w/ ill-behaved windows shell extensions. This got me to looking around my system and I discovered a phantom extension left over from an old, removed program. I cleaned this up and now PM starts perfectly.

I can (and will) atest that your great support rep is well deserved!

Thanks again,
Bill

Offline rarb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:10:01 PM »
To disable the problem shell extention I made the following change in REGEDIT

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Camera Bits, Inc.\Photo Mechanic\
FileSysNavigatorIsShown=1 (set this to 0 to disable) 

This resolved the issue.

A big thanks to Kirk who provided this info.