Poll

Do you prefer White Text or Black Text?

White Text on Dark Background
12 (23.1%)
Black Text on Light Background
40 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: V5 New Look and Feel  (Read 19556 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: V5 New Look and Feel
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »
The next build will have an option for a lighter UI on the Windows version.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »
I think I got used to the new interface after all.
At the same time, I have got to the conclusion that PM 5 is a bit slower than previous versions for ordinary tasks like renaming, tagging, etc.
I don't know if this happens because the new version is packed with new (and welcomed) features...
Regards,

- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »
Luiz,

I think I got used to the new interface after all.
At the same time, I have got to the conclusion that PM 5 is a bit slower than previous versions for ordinary tasks like renaming, tagging, etc.
I don't know if this happens because the new version is packed with new (and welcomed) features...

Nothing changed in how Renaming is done.  Tagging may take a little longer since PM 5 no longer offers writing its image preferences at the end of the file and must either write it to embedded XMP or XMP sidecar files.

Browsing speed should be much faster.
Sorting speed should be on par or much faster if the sort data is cached.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply.
I will try to check more accurately what I notice to have changed in terms of speed and I will let you know.,
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
First of all thank you very much for change of the interface to a lighter color. It's a big relief to my stressed eyes! Once again this is proof for how much you guys care for your customers.

Unfortunately I have to say that the new look is still somewhat half-baked to me. The black borders around the Favorites and Navigator Windows, the black background of the tabs gives it a touch of unfinishedness. It's not all of a piece to me. v4 looked much cleaner. Icons could look a bit less 90s too. Hope you have not reached the end of your interface designing skills ;-)

Aside the visuals PM is still a great programm to work with!

Offline BigEz

• Newcomer
  • Spent all my money on booze & stripers...
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Gene Inman
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 03:23:37 PM »
Just updated to build 13444, and it looks like the UI changed again..  not only did it go back to the light (PM4) UI, but it also lost the tile buttons at the top of the window (like Edit).  I actually like the lighter window UI, but I'm missing the buttons.   I see above that it was said the next version would have an option to change UI, did I miss something?? I can't find that option or a way to show the buttons along top...

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Just updated to build 13444, and it looks like the UI changed again..  not only did it go back to the light (PM4) UI, but it also lost the tile buttons at the top of the window (like Edit).  I actually like the lighter window UI, but I'm missing the buttons.   I see above that it was said the next version would have an option to change UI, did I miss something?? I can't find that option or a way to show the buttons along top...

Would you mind posting a JPEG screen shot of what you're talking about?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
Here ya go... sorry for the ugly markings, but "Snipping Tool" doesn't have a text tool just a paintbrush.  Anyway on my last version of PM5 the arrow shows the area that was dark (I call it the tile menu) under the menu items.. the red boxes represent the tiles that are no longer there.  Hope that helps?  - Thanks

That is the Contact Sheet window's entire toolbar.  Perhaps you're thinking of the Preview window's Toolbar which has several more buttons.

-Kirk

Offline BigEz

• Newcomer
  • Spent all my money on booze & stripers...
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Gene Inman
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
Duh...  you are correct. Guess I was so surprised that the last update reverted back to a light color, I got discombobulated... yes my buttons are still on the Preview windows toolbar.  Sorry for the goose chase.  Thanks as always! 

Offline weddingstills

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »
I absolutely love the dark interface. It was one of the primary the reasons I updated.

It makes the photos look like they are in a dark matt, which to my mind, is the best way to present photographs, most of the time. Some look better in a white matt of course.  :)

When runnning PM on one screen and LR on another (for example) they sit in really well with each other. It just LOOKS professional.

Having said all that, I can understand that on smaller screens and in hard light reflecting off a monitor, it would be a bit impractical. The ability to change that in the preferences is a good move to keep every one happy and as your environment changes or moving from desktop to laptop.