Author Topic: JPG Images rotated in Photo Mechanic cannot be edited in Capture NX2  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Lorkis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.9, OS X 10.7.4 using an 3.2 GHz Quad-Care Intel Xeon MAC Pro, and editing with Capture NX2 2.3.2.
When I rotate a JPG picture in Photo Mechanic, Capture NX2 subsequently refuses to edit the picture.  The error message includes the file name saying it is an invalid color format and that the file format is not supported.  If I request an edit prior to rotation, Capture will comply.  Once the picture is rotated in Photo Mechanic, subsequent attempts fail even if I return the photo to its "as taken" position.  Editing with Capture even fails if I attempt to edit the formerly rotated picture from my Finder window, without going through the Photo Mechanic route.  This situation exists with any JPG, no matter what camera was used to take a picture.  My workaround at present is to convert everything to TIFF and then back to JPG and then edit without rotating in Photo Mechanic.

NEF files are just fine and Capture NX2 will edit them no matter how I rotate in Photo Mechanic.

The above problem disrupts my workflow.  Is there a fix?

Thanks,
Lambert Orkis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JPG Images rotated in Photo Mechanic cannot be edited in Capture NX2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
Lambert,

I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.9, OS X 10.7.4 using an 3.2 GHz Quad-Care Intel Xeon MAC Pro, and editing with Capture NX2 2.3.2.
When I rotate a JPG picture in Photo Mechanic, Capture NX2 subsequently refuses to edit the picture.  The error message includes the file name saying it is an invalid color format and that the file format is not supported.  If I request an edit prior to rotation, Capture will comply.  Once the picture is rotated in Photo Mechanic, subsequent attempts fail even if I return the photo to its "as taken" position.  Editing with Capture even fails if I attempt to edit the formerly rotated picture from my Finder window, without going through the Photo Mechanic route.  This situation exists with any JPG, no matter what camera was used to take a picture.  My workaround at present is to convert everything to TIFF and then back to JPG and then edit without rotating in Photo Mechanic.

NEF files are just fine and Capture NX2 will edit them no matter how I rotate in Photo Mechanic.

The above problem disrupts my workflow.  Is there a fix?

Use the Delete Metadata command on the Tools menu to delete the 'Photo Mechanic end of file preferences'.  The images will now open fine Capture NX2.

Older versions of Capture NX2 ignored the EOF Prefs, but newer versions get tripped up by them.  PM 5 will no longer write those EOF Prefs, thus alleviating the problem altogether.

-Kirk

Offline Lorkis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: JPG Images rotated in Photo Mechanic cannot be edited in Capture NX2
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
Perfect!  Many thanks for the fast response and excellent support!!
LO