Author Topic: OPEN PM5beta unmount error halting ingest  (Read 12321 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
OPEN PM5beta unmount error halting ingest
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
I use OSX 10.6.8 and PM5 beta build 12996 (08aaae8)
I don't know how to better document or investigate the problem but it seems to be a bug.

It happens quite often during ingesting 3-4 cards at once that I receive an error message saying the ingest finished but the card cannot be ejected because it is being used. But I don't open the cards in any other app just PM's ingest function.

I usually load all my cards into the card reader and leave it for a longer period to ingest. Usually when I return to the computer ingest should be done. But foten I meet the above error message and it seems also to stop other cards being ingested until I click OK on the error message....what is not very efficient if I leave the computer to do other things until the download completes...

Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: OPEN PM5beta unmount error halting ingest
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:33:16 AM »
Szurkebarat,

I don't know how to better document or investigate the problem but it seems to be a bug.

It happens quite often during ingesting 3-4 cards at once that I receive an error message saying the ingest finished but the card cannot be ejected because it is being used. But I don't open the cards in any other app just PM's ingest function.

I usually load all my cards into the card reader and leave it for a longer period to ingest. Usually when I return to the computer ingest should be done. But foten I meet the above error message and it seems also to stop other cards being ingested until I click OK on the error message....what is not very efficient if I leave the computer to do other things until the download completes...

This indicates that when PM asked the OS to eject the volume, some process had a file open on it and because of that, the disk could not be unmounted/ejected.  The fact that the dissenting application/process name wasn't listed means that PM either wasn't given a valid process ID, or that the name for the process ID couldn't be found.

I'll add a bunch of logging to the unmount/eject code and when the problem happens again, please send me your PM.log file (compressed in a zip archive).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
Szurkebarat,

This indicates that when PM asked the OS to eject the volume, some process had a file open on it and because of that, the disk could not be unmounted/ejected.  The fact that the dissenting application/process name wasn't listed means that PM either wasn't given a valid process ID, or that the name for the process ID couldn't be found.

I'll add a bunch of logging to the unmount/eject code and when the problem happens again, please send me your PM.log file (compressed in a zip archive).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Thanks a lot!

It happens practically every time I ingest multiple cards one or the other cannot be automatically ejected. When I press OK on the error message and start a new ingest on the same card (auto erased after ingest) it allways gets ejected properly - if I don't forget this step.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »
Szurkebarat,

You don't happen to have "Clean My Mac" installed, do you?  Apparently it keeps files open on all kinds of disks as it does its work.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
Szurkebarat,

You don't happen to have "Clean My Mac" installed, do you?  Apparently it keeps files open on all kinds of disks as it does its work.

-Kirk

No I don't have it.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
Szurkebarat,

Have you tested the RC version?  I have added the logging code to try and track down your issue.  If you can get the issue to happen, send me your PM.log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
Szurkebarat,

Have you tested the RC version?  I have added the logging code to try and track down your issue.  If you can get the issue to happen, send me your PM.log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

I have this unmount inability issue from time to time but I had no time testing it as I'm in heavy work. I tried to locate PM.log but am unable to find it.
,-((
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
I tried to locate PM.log but am unable to find it.

szurkebarat,

go to the preferences, click on Cache. Note down the cache path. In this path the PM.log is stored.

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:08:52 PM »
Default path is: /Users/_your_user_name_/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic

hth
Sven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 11:17:21 PM »
And note that if you're using Mac OS X 10.7 or higher, the Finder will hide the Library folder from you.  Use the 'Go to Folder' command in the 'Go' menu and type:

~/Library/

...and the Finder will open that folder for you.  Then you can find the Caches/Photo Mechanic/ folder.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21:03 PM »
And note that if you're using Mac OS X 10.7 or higher, the Finder will hide the Library folder from you.  Use the 'Go to Folder' command in the 'Go' menu and type:

Alternative: open the finder, open the "Go To" menu and press the option key. The users library appears as target.

Sven

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »

~/Library/

...and the Finder will open that folder for you.  Then you can find the Caches/Photo Mechanic/ folder.

HTH,

-Kirk

Thanks I uploaded it to the FTP, the error occured at least 2-3 times daily during the last few days.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
Szurkebarat,

~/Library/

Thanks I uploaded it to the FTP, the error occured at least 2-3 times daily during the last few days.

So can I have your PM.log file now?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
Szurkebarat,

~/Library/

So can I have your PM.log file now?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I uploaded it as a PM.log.zip file to CameraBit's incoming FTP.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
Szurkebarat,

I have taken a look at your PM.log file.  First, it is incredibly large at nearly 107 MB in size.

I see places where disks are unable to be unmounted, but the error from the OS is not returning the process ID of the application that has an open file on the disk.

Code: [Select]
[Sat Jul-28-2012 15:57:37.066][a04de540] AppUtils.mm:349 ($Revision$) AppUtils::EjectPathInFinder() failed, dissenter pid:0
[Sat Jul-28-2012 15:57:37.067][a04de540] AppUtils.mm:297 ($Revision$) findAppWithPID() pid:0
[Sat Jul-28-2012 15:57:37.086][a04de540] AppUtils.mm:323 ($Revision$) findAppWithPID() pid:0 has no match
[Sat Jul-28-2012 15:57:49.287][a04de540] AppUtils.mm:349 ($Revision$) AppUtils::EjectPathInFinder() failed, dissenter pid:0
[Sat Jul-28-2012 15:57:49.287][a04de540] AppUtils.mm:297 ($Revision$) findAppWithPID() pid:0
[Sat Jul-28-2012 15:57:49.289][a04de540] AppUtils.mm:323 ($Revision$) findAppWithPID() pid:0 has no match

I think maybe your system is having some significant problems.  For instance, I see thousands of messages like this:

[Fri Jul-20-2012 21:16:35.901][b098c000] CachedImage.cpp:1866 ($Revision$) CCachedImage::GetImageInfoPtr() unable to get shallow iip for '/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL 1/DCIM/101GOPRO/GOPR8840.JPG'
[Fri Jul-20-2012 21:16:35.913][b0b12000] CachedImage.cpp:1866 ($Revision$) CCachedImage::GetImageInfoPtr() unable to get shallow iip for '/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/101GOPRO/GOPR3076.JPG'

Notice how there are two volumes named EOS_DIGITAL: one is "EOS_DIGITAL" and the other is "EOS_DIGITAL 1".  This indicates that the card wasn't unmounted properly by the OS and then was remounted and when the OS saw that EOS_DIGITAL already existed it tacked " 1" onto the name and created a new mount point.  This also isn't good.

Here is an other exchange of problems:

[Sun Jul-29-2012 17:13:18.459][b0210000] NRFCR2.cpp:356 ($Revision$) Failed to read 64 bytes at end of file "/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/101EOS1D/AP5I4079.CR2"
[Sun Jul-29-2012 17:13:18.480][b0210000] CachedImage.cpp:1861 ($Revision$) Error returned by NRFGetImageInfo("/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/101EOS1D/AP5I4079.CR2"): 5
[Sun Jul-29-2012 17:13:18.492][b0210000] CachedImage.cpp:1861 ($Revision$) Error returned by NRFGetImageInfo("/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/101EOS1D/AP5I4079.CR2"): 1
[Sun Jul-29-2012 17:13:18.510][b07bb000] NRFCR2.cpp:230 ($Revision$) Failed reading CR2 header for file "/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL 1/DCIM/100EOS1D/JP4F5709.CR2"
[Sun Jul-29-2012 17:13:18.510][b07bb000] CachedImage.cpp:1861 ($Revision$) Error returned by NRFGetImageInfo("/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL 1/DCIM/100EOS1D/JP4F5709.CR2"): 4099
[Sun Jul-29-2012 17:13:18.511][b07bb000] CachedImage.cpp:1861 ($Revision$) Error returned by NRFGetImageInfo("/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL 1/DCIM/100EOS1D/JP4F5709.CR2"): 1

Have you checked your disks and RAM for problems?

These same issues may explain why your crops randomly stop working and then work again later.

-Kirk