Author Topic: Problem PSD file wrt "Date Created"  (Read 4254 times)

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem PSD file wrt "Date Created"
« on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »
As a new user, I'm still feeling my way around some of the setup and functions of PM, but I'm somewhat stumped by the following:

I've been scanning old prints, touching them up with PSCS2 and then using PM for adding IPTC annotation. I'm still going back and forth between Bridge and PM, and I thought I had the PM preferences set up correctly to sync with PS sidecar files. Bridge seems to show the correct PM info, but I've discovered one file (out of ~40 processed to date) where the Bridge "File Info" not only doesn't show the info added with PM, it displays all fields in gray and doesn't allow for any data entry. Any idea what could have happened to that particular rogue file?

Thanks// Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem PSD file wrt "Date Created"
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:28:32 AM »
Chris,

As a new user, I'm still feeling my way around some of the setup and functions of PM, but I'm somewhat stumped by the following:

I've been scanning old prints, touching them up with PSCS2 and then using PM for adding IPTC annotation. I'm still going back and forth between Bridge and PM, and I thought I had the PM preferences set up correctly to sync with PS sidecar files. Bridge seems to show the correct PM info, but I've discovered one file (out of ~40 processed to date) where the Bridge "File Info" not only doesn't show the info added with PM, it displays all fields in gray and doesn't allow for any data entry. Any idea what could have happened to that particular rogue file?

While I don't know what may have caused that to happen, I could take a look at the one file you had an issue with and examine it, if you're willing to upload it.

Note that PSD files do not use XMP sidecar files.  Only non-DNG RAW files use XMP sidecar files.  On PSD, XMP and IPTC data are embedded directly into the file.

-Kirk

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:32:01 PM »
Ooops ... I'm so used to working with RAW files from my cameras that I forgot scanning and then processing with PSCS2 puts me further up the food chain wrt IPTC annotation.

//Chris

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »
I'd certainly be willing to upload the problem file ... let me know the details for transfer.

Thanks//Chris

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 04:34:38 PM »
I'm now thinking that there could be some strange behaviour by Bridge regarding IPTC data: I now have several examples where I have scanned a series of photos, touched them up using PSCS2, annotated them using PM and then Bridge can see the IPTC data for some of the images but not with others in the series. Requesting "File info ..." under Bridge shows blank and greyed out entries for all IPTC data - and doesn't allow you to enter any data. However, if you open these files in PSCS2 and request "File info ...", all of the IPTC info entered using PM does show up in the panels! I realize this is likely a problem with Bridge and not PM, I was wondering what triggers this strange Bridge immune response to IPTC data, and if anyone else has seen this behaviour?

Thanks// Chris