Author Topic: Latest version not keeping any IPTC DATA when editing in PSCS6  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
After installing Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13158 (7de0ba6) it no longer keeps any IPTC data when editing in PSCS6. I was blissfully unaware of this as I selected and captioned as usual at the next football match and duly sent the images. All the images then and now do not keep the IPTC data when the raw files are edited in PSCS6. So I now select images needed in PM export, process and save as JPEG in PSCS6, then open the folder of JPEGs in PM and caption then as it's quicker and easier in PM. Is the problem with PM or PS?

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Latest version not keeping any IPTC DATA when editing in PSCS6
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:58:40 AM »
Forgot to mention:

Running Mac OS 10.7.4, on a MacBook Pro 2033 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »
After installing Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13158 (7de0ba6) it no longer keeps any IPTC data when editing in PSCS6. I was blissfully unaware of this as I selected and captioned as usual at the next football match and duly sent the images. All the images then and now do not keep the IPTC data when the raw files are edited in PSCS6. So I now select images needed in PM export, process and save as JPEG in PSCS6, then open the folder of JPEGs in PM and caption then as it's quicker and easier in PM. Is the problem with PM or PS?

We are unaware of any such issue.  I'd like to see a sample image before (RAW+XMP sidecar if any) and after (the JPEG from CS6).  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'Send PM' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
Before I send you any files, I'll explain my workflow when working at speed.

In all previous versions and this latest of PM I work directly off the card, selecting and captioning, loading GPS position, of the Canon Raw file, click the edit in button, which is set for PSCS6, do any gradient selection, brush selection, spotting etc... In PSCS6, then save as JPEG. Been doing this way for years with no problem whatsoever. Then upgrade to latest version of PM and it doesn't work? That to me would point at PM being the problem as it worked with PSCS6 in the previous version.

I don't ingest because when you have 12GB or more on the card, it simply takes too long even when working with a FireWire 800 card reader. When you're working pitchside at matches you have to edit and send asap. Ingesting prohibits that because of the time it takes to ingest the whole card.

Luckily I still have the images still on the card from the weekend. I've just done my normal workflow on an image and the only info in the IPTC in the saved JPEG is the standard copyright info that I've set the camera to place in all images. This latest version of PM isn't placing the Stationary pad and my captions etc... In to the sidecar file when I click to edit in PSCS6. All previous versions have.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
We will likely be adding a preference that will allow editing on the card again, after you agree to a disclaimer.  Editing on the card is an extremely risky thing to do so in PM 5 we removed that ability.  But enough people have insisted that they never have problems editing on their cards and that editing on their cards is essential to their workflow.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »
How soon will you be adding that? I'll have to resort to the previous version, which I no longer have. Can I still download it?

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
Why is it risky working off the card? Every photographer I know works that way.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »
How soon will you be adding that? I'll have to resort to the previous version, which I no longer have. Can I still download it?

Probably by the end of the week.

You can download PM 4.6.9 here:

http://www.camerabits.com/downloads/

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »

Because they're the only copy of the images you have.  If a problem were to occur then you've lost your image(s).  CF/SD/Memory Stick/etc. cards all have a finite number of read and write cycles and do fail over time.  Working on completely full disks is also problematic.  Not formatting your card once you put your card back into your camera can also cause problems.

Editing on the card is not recommended.

-Kirk

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
I fully understand that. When you said risky, I thought you meant a software risky element in PM!!

For anything that is time sensitive or when I'm shooting sport I'll use PM, simply for the speed of use and of the many hundreds of frames shot, I never need anymore than thirty at most. With all commercial work I ingest with Lightroom as I need to see all of the images and apply the same process to each raw image. With news and sport images, every frame is practically different and needs to be processed individually once selected. In a studio or controlled environment when shooting commercial images Lightroom is used. PM's main strength is it's speed of use in seeing images and getting them out. It's the industry standard in that respect. Long may it continue.

Offline Phot_One

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
I did keep a copy of 4.6.9 in a separate folder so I'm okay.

I'll keep an eye out for the new version when you release it.

Many thanks.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »

Because they're the only copy of the images you have.  If a problem were to occur then you've lost your image(s).  CF/SD/Memory Stick/etc. cards all have a finite number of read and write cycles and do fail over time.  Working on completely full disks is also problematic.  Not formatting your card once you put your card back into your camera can also cause problems.

Editing on the card is not recommended.

-Kirk

I know one photographer who USED TO edit on the card.  Not anymore since she lost everything.  Also a good reason not to check "Erase source disk after ingest."  I can appreciate the need for speed and understand every photographer has a different preference for workflow, but protecting the images comes first for me. How does the saying go?  Once bitten twice shy or something like that.  Back in film days, I thought I shot a baseball game only to find when I tried to rewind the film, it had not caught on the sprocket holes and didn't advance.  Needless to say, after that, I always made sure the rewind knob turned when I loaded a new roll. 

I'm not starting a flame war here, to each his (or her) own preference for workflow. I'm just saying I'm with Kirk here.  Cards can get flakey.