Author Topic: Run ingest (or similar) to contact sheet  (Read 4342 times)

Offline fasterlaster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Run ingest (or similar) to contact sheet
« on: November 13, 2006, 10:50:29 AM »
Is there any way to get PM to operate a type of ingest on a current contact sheet, or at least I think that is what I want to do.

I am developing a workflow for Capture NX and it seems the most portable organizing solution for me is using folders. I realized that I can call ingest on a particular folder that I have color coded and separate the different classes into separate folders to make my final edit easy in NX. The only problem is that it takes a bit of work to select all the correct ingest options each time, when I really just want to move the files that are in the current contact sheet to a suitable folder based on some embedded tags. Any suggestions? it seems the logic and programming is already done, just lacking the UI for such a procedure.

Jason

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Run ingest (or similar) to contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 12:26:11 PM »
Jason,

Is there any way to get PM to operate a type of ingest on a current contact sheet, or at least I think that is what I want to do.

I am developing a workflow for Capture NX and it seems the most portable organizing solution for me is using folders. I realized that I can call ingest on a particular folder that I have color coded and separate the different classes into separate folders to make my final edit easy in NX. The only problem is that it takes a bit of work to select all the correct ingest options each time, when I really just want to move the files that are in the current contact sheet to a suitable folder based on some embedded tags. Any suggestions? it seems the logic and programming is already done, just lacking the UI for such a procedure.

I would just use the Copy Photos command.  Select your photos and then choose Copy Photos... from the File menu.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline fasterlaster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 12:56:04 PM »
I just gave that a try but it doesn't quite do what I was hoping it would. Under ingest it will create new directories from the embedded data (such as "winner" "trash" etc) and put a file in the correct directory as well as create that. Copy seems to ignore any directory structure. Here is a quick example if this helps any.

I have 5 photographs in "shoot1" directory and after review/rating I end up with this:
photo1.jpg is tagged w/ "winner"
photo2.jpg is tagged w/ "trash"
photo3.jpg is tagged w/ "winner"
photo4.jpg is tagged w/ "trash"
photo5.jpg is tagged w/ "typical"

I would like to run a magical PM script that does this:
shoot1/->
         ->winner/
                   ->photo1.jpg
                   ->photo3.jpg
         ->trash/
                   ->photo2.jpg
                   ->photo4.jpg
         ->typical/
                   ->photo5.jpg

so the end result is my directory structure mimics my rating system.

I did however just realize that I can do my initial injest into a "pre-viewed" directory and use a snapshot to ingest the catagorized photos into a directory structure that suites what I am looking for. Any other suggestions on how to do it, or would this seem to be the best way?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 01:36:35 PM »
I just gave that a try but it doesn't quite do what I was hoping it would. Under ingest it will create new directories from the embedded data (such as "winner" "trash" etc) and put a file in the correct directory as well as create that. Copy seems to ignore any directory structure. Here is a quick example if this helps any.

I have 5 photographs in "shoot1" directory and after review/rating I end up with this:
photo1.jpg is tagged w/ "winner"
photo2.jpg is tagged w/ "trash"
photo3.jpg is tagged w/ "winner"
photo4.jpg is tagged w/ "trash"
photo5.jpg is tagged w/ "typical"

I would like to run a magical PM script that does this:
shoot1/->
         ->winner/
                   ->photo1.jpg
                   ->photo3.jpg
         ->trash/
                   ->photo2.jpg
                   ->photo4.jpg
         ->typical/
                   ->photo5.jpg

so the end result is my directory structure mimics my rating system.

I did however just realize that I can do my initial injest into a "pre-viewed" directory and use a snapshot to ingest the catagorized photos into a directory structure that suites what I am looking for. Any other suggestions on how to do it, or would this seem to be the best way?

Until we add Ingest from selection (which would do exactly what you're asking for) your solution sounds pretty good.  Ingest from Folders would work well but you won't be able to choose just a few files from a given folder: you would ingest (copy) all files in the folder.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline fasterlaster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 02:45:41 PM »
Thanks Kirk. That answers my question (and gives me something to look fwd to)

jason