Author Topic: Read Metadata from File in lightroom resets picture develop changes  (Read 25814 times)

Offline Denis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running PM latest version (5.0 build 13158) on Windows 7 Ultimate and LightRoom 4.2

Here is my workflow:

- Manually copy files from my CFs cards to a folder on my computer
- Fire up PM and tag pictures I want to keep
- Within PM delete all the pictures that are not tagged
- Close PM, fire up LightRoom
- Import all the pictures in LightRoom
- Do some post processing and delete another bunch of pictures from within LightRoom
- When I am happy with the set of pictures I have and I am done with all the post, close LR and open PM
- Caption all the pictures in PM (caption / headline, etc...)
- Close PM, open LR
- Select all the photos in LR and do a "Read Metadata from file"

After the "Read Metadata from file" is completed all my post changes to the pictures seems wiped... all the pictures are returned to their original state when first imported in LR :-[

Actually the develop history isn't wiped:  when I go into the Develop module in LR, an item "From Metada" has been added to the top of the history and when I step back to the item just before (my last develop action before the Read From Metadata action), all the my previous changes are restored.

Which means it is recoverable, but when you have to go and backout one step in the develop module for 300 pictures it's a real pain...

Any suggestions on how to fix this (beside do all the captioning _before_ importing the picture in LR, which would be a pain because I would have to caption a bunch of pictures that I would delete later on.

Thanks.

Denis

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:48:28 AM by Denis »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Read Metadata from File in lightroom resets picture develop changes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:55 PM »
Denis,

I am running PM latest version (5.0 build 13158) on Windows 7 Ultimate and LightRoom 4.2

Here is my workflow:

- Do some post processing and delete another bunch of pictures from within LightRoom
- When I am happy with the set of pictures I have and I am done with all the post, close LR and open PM
- Close PM, open LR

After the "Read Metadata from file" is completed all my post changes to the pictures seems wiped... all the pictures are returned to their original state when first imported in LR :-[

Actually the develop history isn't wiped:  when I go into the Develop module in LR, an item "From Metada" has been added to the top of the history and when I step back to the item just before (my last develop action before the Read From Metadata action), all the my previous changes are restored.

Which means it is recoverable, but when you have to go and backout one step in the develop module for 300 pictures it's a real pain...

Any suggestions on how to fix this (beside do all the captioning _before_ importing the picture in LR, which would be a pain because I would have to caption a bunch of pictures that I would delete later on.

I'd have to see one of your XMP sidecar files after adjustment in LR4 and after changes by PM.  I'd like to also see your IPTC/XMP preferences.  Please upload the two XMP sidecar files and a JPEG screenshot of your IPTC/XMP Preferences settings in PM 5.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Denis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:46:08 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Enclosed are a number of files, files names should be self explanatory but in case, here is a quick description of what I did:
  • Import a new image file (Nikon RAW NEF in case that matter) in LR 4.2 and made some edit to it in the Develop module (exposure, contrast, highlight, etc...)
  • Made a copy of the xmp sidecar file and renamed it to: 01-after-import-in-LR.xmp
  • Took a screen shot of LR in Developed module (01-after-import-and-edit-in-LR4.2.png)
  • Opened the same image file in PM5, did a crop and changed the caption and headline
  • Made a copy of the xmp sidecar file and renames it to 02-after-edit-in-PM5.xmp
  • Back in LR, did a "Read metadata from file"
  • Made a copy of the xmp sidecar file and renamed it 03-after-read-meta-data-from-file-in-LR.xmp
  • Took a screen shot of LR in Develop module after the metadata read (02-after-read-metadata-from-file-in-LR4.2.png).  You can see that the photo exposure, contrast, etc... reverted to neutral setting and that the crop that was done in PM5 was applied to the photo in LR

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
Denis,

Change your TIFF-based RAW photo read order to be:

First: XMP Sidecar file
Second: Embedded XMP
Third (Embedded IPTC will be set for you)

Also, no need to embed any metadata on TIFF-based RAW files if you're using Adobe products anyway.  Embedding metadata causes more issues than it solves when working with Adobe products.

You can strip embedded metadata if you like by using the Delete Metadata command on the Tools menu.

-Kirk

Offline Denis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
It works...  Thanks!

Denis

Offline RIMP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I am experiencing the same problems outlined by Denis originally, but only for PSD files - not for Raw files.   My Tiff-based RAW read order settings are already as you have suggested in your solution to Denis.

Are you able to fixing this for when I read metadata from PSD files?

Thanks

Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »
Richard,

I am experiencing the same problems outlined by Denis originally, but only for PSD files - not for Raw files.   My Tiff-based RAW read order settings are already as you have suggested in your solution to Denis.

Are you able to fixing this for when I read metadata from PSD files?

I don't see how that is possible.  PSD files are not RAW files and are not 'developed' with RAW settings.  PSD files always have metadata embedded in them and do not have the option of using XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline awfreelance

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • awp
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 03:37:06 AM »
I've had this problem with both RAW and jpeg but the solution is NOT to read metadata from files in Lightroom but to synchronise the folder - with scan for metadata updates ticked.  new metadata is imported from PM5 changes and develope settings are untouched.  HTH
Andrew
------------------------------------------------------
awp.co.uk
PM5/LR5/win 7x64 12M RAM

Offline Cloughie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
Hi.
Is it the same for PM6  i have the same issue with PM6

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
Is it the same for PM6  i have the same issue with PM6

PM has never modified Lightroom develop settings.

-Kirk

Offline Cloughie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »
Kirk. this is from the same thread and what i am referring to.

Thanks Huw

Denis,

Quote from: Denis on October 13, 2012, 08:54:20 PM

Here is my workflow:

- Close PM, open LR

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »
That post is from the initial release of PM5 way back in 2012.

Is there still a problem?  Are you experiencing it with PM5 or PM6 today?

I posted a solution that "Denis" tried and confirmed is working.

-Kirk

Offline Cloughie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »
I am running PM6. Yes its still happening but as far as I can see, ( I may be wrong)  the settings for PM6 are lightly different  Huw

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
I am running PM6. Yes its still happening but as far as I can see, ( I may be wrong)  the settings for PM6 are lightly different  Huw

Please post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP settings in the Preferences dialog.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Cloughie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
Hi Kirk File attached