Author Topic: New Icons Build 13645...whoa!  (Read 17635 times)

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New Icons Build 13645...whoa!
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »
This may seem petty but who is designing your icons? The old ones did look a little like very early web stuff, but the newest ones in Photo Mechanic: Version 5 Build 13645 released yesterday are bizarrely amateurish blobs of design, particularly in Preview.  In particular the icon for "Edit selected image in external editor (E)"...  I have asked six people if the symbol means anything to them. A pair of sunglasses with one arm missing? A bikini top? A two shelled snail? An Arabic alphabet symbol?

For such a great program that I spend hours with every day of my life, I'd like to see GUI design that appears at least a bit more advanced than the first semester design student effort that is burning my eyes today.

Sorry about the rant...but this is 2013. Not 1983. Simplify. Please. Thank-you.

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
Re: New Icons Build 13645...whoa!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »
I will have to agree the tool bar in the preview window looks a little like one of the toy computer from Toys or Us. I really would like it to match the contact sheet tool bar or have the choice to have it the old way.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
We know some (or many!) people might not like the new icons.  Many people didn't like the original icons either.  We're looking for constructive criticism and specific examples of what people like.  We'll make one more pass on the icons and we won't take your feedback personally.  So fire away, but give us feedback we can actually use.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »
...we won't take your feedback personally.  So fire away, but give us feedback we can actually use.
That's great to hear. I was going to comment yesterday, but decided against it.

So, who let the monkey lose in the crayon drawer for those icons!?  :D

I have to admit I've now hidden the toolbar and will learn the keyboard shortcuts instead.

FWIW I've always liked the work of The Iconfactory, their client list is quite impressive. They also run a stock icon service for which they can also design additional custom icons for those unique uses the stock ones don't cover.
NB: I have no connection with them except as a long time admirer of their freeware icons.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »
Kirk, what was wrong with the icons from 4.5 and the earlier version of 5 ? For me it is the colors and shape (to big).

Maybe something along these lines

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jswain

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »
The colors are the problem for me.  They are too distracting. I would be happy if they were just toned down a bit.

Thanks.

J Swain 

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
Just as a counter-point, I don't mind the new icons and didn't have a problem with the old ones either. I honestly only think about them when they are brought up on the message board!  ;D

I'd much rather have you spend your time on new functionality instead of cosmetics.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 12:16:19 AM »
Hi,

the icons do not refer to the aim of the software, they refer to a gaming software or a software for children. I prefer symbols like these of your board software, too.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline pdizzle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 10:47:56 PM »
An option to switch between icon sets would be nice.  I definitely prefer the looks of the old one.

However, I did revert back to the previous build, because it was hard to quickly tell the difference between 1 star and 0 star rated images when not tagged with a color.  Tagging with certain colors (except dark blue) made it easier, but in my workflow I do not use Color Classes.

I took two quick screen shots to compare the ratings between the two builds, and it looks like the star size decreased in the latest build, as well as being changed to a light grey color (vs black in the old build).  Both of those changes hurt the visibility.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 02:47:35 AM »
Hi,
I also had to hide the toolbar for good.
What I particularly do not like are the colors you have used...they are colors for children, you know, orange, red, blue and green, strong colors...why dont't you use more "subtle" colors, and tone variations or shades of colors...
I agree with the previous comment on the "Edit" icon...it would be better if you could use the letter "E" instead (like the I of IPTC info).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Nick Didlick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Nick Didlick Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »
Hi All
And I agree the new Icons suck and they are confusing for many users of PM. The solution is simple and I have mentioned it to the folks at CBits directly. Follow the Icon design of the Mail programs on the MAC and PC OS. MAC Mail (for Mac users) and PC Outlook (for PC users) while they are not the greatest Icons they are familiar and comfortable for all users.
While some people think this thread is petty I would argue its not, we the users of PM are all visual people and the look of the program is part of the overall feel of the program. I use PM to show images to clients and I can not turn these Icons on when showing clients images it makes a poor impression when viewed large on a screen. I dug into my back-up and down graded my PM to the previous release as hiding the Icons was okay, but I also didn't like the redraw size and speed in the latest version on a MAC (done for Retina displays evidently). I have been a power user of PM since 1994/5 and this is the first time I have retrograded a sad day for me.
Nick Didlick
Nick Didlick  | Photographer/Digital Photography Consultant
Visualize<>Success
<making little ideas <> INTO BIG IMPRESSIONS >
Web: http://www.nickdidlick.com
Email: nick@nickdidlick.com
Canadian Mobile: 604.202.9320
USA Mobile: 206.372.7453

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
I guess from a functional perspective, the icons are ok since they result in the proper actions.  That being said, I'm with the others here: they look like they belong in a children's app.  I agree with Rguzmanphoto; what was wrong with the 4.6 icons?  If you're staying with the current icons, how about giving Windows users the option to turn off the toolbar (or if that's possible, how?).

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »
Honestly, I had not noticed the new icons before this string came ::)
The simple solutions is to go under view/ hide toolbar

I just viewed them and must admit they look odd, I had to hover over the blue bra to find out what it mean (edit  :-* )
but then again, learn the few shortcuts and you will never need them
Cheers ::)
Steffen

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »
Hi All
And I agree the new Icons suck and they are confusing for many users of PM. The solution is simple and I have mentioned it to the folks at CBits directly. Follow the Icon design of the Mail programs on the MAC and PC OS. MAC Mail (for Mac users) and PC Outlook (for PC users) while they are not the greatest Icons they are familiar and comfortable for all users.
While some people think this thread is petty I would argue its not, we the users of PM are all visual people and the look of the program is part of the overall feel of the program. I use PM to show images to clients and I can not turn these Icons on when showing clients images it makes a poor impression when viewed large on a screen. I dug into my back-up and down graded my PM to the previous release as hiding the Icons was okay, but I also didn't like the redraw size and speed in the latest version on a MAC (done for Retina displays evidently). I have been a power user of PM since 1994/5 and this is the first time I have retrograded a sad day for me.
Nick Didlick

I have to agree that the new icons are not attractive and the colors are awful.  Just toning the colors down would help...see attached as an idea.

Jerry

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »
I agree with all critics !
For me "-" does not mean "delete", only "smaller"  etc…
Choices for icons are unhappy in PM5.

Sorry !
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator