Author Topic: Save, Upload and Advcance button in IPTC info window  (Read 4026 times)

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Save, Upload and Advcance button in IPTC info window
« on: April 20, 2013, 05:17:22 AM »
Hi,

Running PM build 13915 on Windows 7.

The save and upload feature is a great recent addition to the IPTC dialog box, however could I suggest a couple of things that would make it even better ?

At the moment, if you have the contact sheet set to display in reverse order (using the reverse tick box on the contact sheet page), then using 'Save Upload and Advance' actually moves the dialog box backwards in the image sequence, not forwards. Could it be set up to check if the contact sheet is reversed and move in the opposite direction ?
I prefer to have the most recently added images at the top of the sheet, rather than having to scroll down to find them.

Also, probably a more complicated thing to sort out, but I'll ask anyway !

Would it be possible to be able to choose to change the function of the same button ( maybe through the preferences menu ) to 'Save, Upload and Close' instead of 'Save, Upload and Advance' ?
My workflow often means selecting one image, captioning and sending, then going back to find another - rather than the sequential captioning of images. At the moment, I use 'Save, Upload and Advance' then manually close the window each time afterwards.
Would be simpler / quicker if it could be set to just close the IPTC window.

Thanks in advance,

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save, Upload and Advcance button in IPTC info window
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
John,

The save and upload feature is a great recent addition to the IPTC dialog box, however could I suggest a couple of things that would make it even better ?

At the moment, if you have the contact sheet set to display in reverse order (using the reverse tick box on the contact sheet page), then using 'Save Upload and Advance' actually moves the dialog box backwards in the image sequence, not forwards. Could it be set up to check if the contact sheet is reversed and move in the opposite direction ?
I prefer to have the most recently added images at the top of the sheet, rather than having to scroll down to find them.

Interesting.  I never thought of that.

Would it be possible to be able to choose to change the function of the same button ( maybe through the preferences menu ) to 'Save, Upload and Close' instead of 'Save, Upload and Advance' ?
My workflow often means selecting one image, captioning and sending, then going back to find another - rather than the sequential captioning of images. At the moment, I use 'Save, Upload and Advance' then manually close the window each time afterwards.
Would be simpler / quicker if it could be set to just close the IPTC window.

Then why not simply OK the dialog and then press 'U' to add the photo to the queue instead? (Would work fine if you're using FTP as your Uploader template.)

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Save, Upload and Advcance button in IPTC info window
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:34:20 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Hadn't thought of just hitting 'U' to add it after writing the caption and closing it........Will give it a try, as it would be quicker.

However, adding a 'Save, Upload and Close' would still be a very slightly quicker option ( admittedly by only one keystroke.... ), wouldn't it ?

Open IPTC info, write caption, click 'Save, Upload and Close' then move onto selecting next image.

Compared to:

Open IPTC info, write caption, click OK, Use keyboard shortcut 'U', then move onto selecting next image.

Having said that, the amount of time saved is pretty minimal, and appreciate that you can't customise every detail of the application to suit the workflow of each individual user.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else asks for a similar option too.

Thanks as always for your helpful and speedy replies.

John