Author Topic: jumping to sound files  (Read 24990 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: jumping to sound files
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »
F5 is already used for Refresh (forces PM to sort again)

What you're wanting to do with F5 is accomplished by turning off the "None" color class in the Color Class Widget in the lower right corner of the screen.

So what I'm taking away from this is that if you have an image selected (a single image only) that when you press F1 to view all photos, you want it to be on screen (I can't center it, but I can make it scroll as needed to make it visible.)  And you want keyboard shortcuts to jump to the next color classed image (any class other than none).

Correct?
Yes that would work up to that stage. But from here it sounds a little more complicated because, by the sound of it, you are saving the the contact view and then adding the ability to jump from specific colour to specific colour.

If I were to add another F-key shortcut, I'd likely make it restore filter/view settings.  Basically one would set their Color Class and Rating Widgets to what they want them to be (perhaps even sort mode and other view modes like Tagged) and then the user would press Modifier-Fx (where Modifier is Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) and the current view state would be recorded.  Pressing F1 would go back to View all and pressing Fx would go to the recorded view.

Then with the addition of a "Jump" submenu (which would allow jumping between Color Class, Rating, Sound, Tag, GPS by selecting amongst a mutually-exclusive list of choices) and cursor key keyboard shortcuts.  The shortcuts would jump between images that have the "Jump" choice selected.

Does that sound good?

Thanks,

-Kirk

I would try to keep it as simple as possible and very basic so that it is easy to understand and works for everybody including newbies. Once that is in place add the submenu for those who want to work the system harder.

Certainly sound should auto-tag in camera and then it would be easier to bring them all together and, using the modified system, jump back to the original sequence.

Keep up the good work Kirk.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
David,

F5 is already used for Refresh (forces PM to sort again)

What you're wanting to do with F5 is accomplished by turning off the "None" color class in the Color Class Widget in the lower right corner of the screen.

So what I'm taking away from this is that if you have an image selected (a single image only) that when you press F1 to view all photos, you want it to be on screen (I can't center it, but I can make it scroll as needed to make it visible.)  And you want keyboard shortcuts to jump to the next color classed image (any class other than none).

Correct?
Yes that would work up to that stage. But from here it sounds a little more complicated because, by the sound of it, you are saving the the contact view and then adding the ability to jump from specific colour to specific colour.

Hmm.  No, I never said that it would jump from one specific color to the same color, in fact I said the opposite:

And you want keyboard shortcuts to jump to the next color classed image (any class other than none).

If I were to add another F-key shortcut, I'd likely make it restore filter/view settings.  Basically one would set their Color Class and Rating Widgets to what they want them to be (perhaps even sort mode and other view modes like Tagged) and then the user would press Modifier-Fx (where Modifier is Shift on Windows, Option on Mac) and the current view state would be recorded.  Pressing F1 would go back to View all and pressing Fx would go to the recorded view.

Then with the addition of a "Jump" submenu (which would allow jumping between Color Class, Rating, Sound, Tag, GPS by selecting amongst a mutually-exclusive list of choices) and cursor key keyboard shortcuts.  The shortcuts would jump between images that have the "Jump" choice selected.

Does that sound good?

I would try to keep it as simple as possible and very basic so that it is easy to understand and works for everybody including newbies. Once that is in place add the submenu for those who want to work the system harder.[/quote]

It needs to be flexible and simple.  Having a Jump or Jump To submenu with the default being Color Class makes it simple (works by default) and flexible since it allows other choices of what to jump to.

Certainly sound should auto-tag in camera and then it would be easier to bring them all together and, using the modified system, jump back to the original sequence.

Is this a function of your camera?  PM can't make your images locked in your camera if they have sound files.  Ingest could have an option to set the tag on images that have sounds, but I don't think it is needed if there is a flexible Jump To function that allows jumping from sound image to sound image.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
Sorry, no its not a function of my camera. I do use the record function so if it can put them all together and jump from one to the other that would be good.

Yes, I think it will start to work okay.
David

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
Luiz,

Thanks for your support but you suggest that it is not a "big deal".

It is only when you experience it working that you realise just how much of a time saver it is.

Obviously, if you shoot a couple of hundred pics a time it is of modest benefit. But when you have an all day competition with nearly a thousand competitors over seven days and between 2-3k of images per day it is a cracking time saver if you have a daily deadline to meet.

Hopefully it will be included in the future to make the "workaround" redundant.
David

Hi,
I am sorry if I did not make myself clear.
To jump from one color coded picture to another when you only have those images in the contact sheet (by using the color filter bar) is straightforward. What is missing is the ability to jump to the next color coded picture when you have all the pictures in the contact sheet (by pressing F1). Then, I think a "Jump" submenu would be a nice addition to PM's features.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi