Author Topic: Folder Icons in Mac OS  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Blacksmith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Folder Icons in Mac OS
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »
I recently upgraded to PM5 and try as I may I can't find a method of adding a folder icon to a jpg file. I'm certain this existed in v4 and was listed in preferences under the files tab but I can't find anything in PM5 preferences. I seem to think that there was also a menu entry to append folder icons to a any group of selected files.

Does such a thing exist in PM5?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder Icons in Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:36:26 AM »
I recently upgraded to PM5 and try as I may I can't find a method of adding a folder icon to a jpg file. I'm certain this existed in v4 and was listed in preferences under the files tab but I can't find anything in PM5 preferences. I seem to think that there was also a menu entry to append folder icons to a any group of selected files.

Does such a thing exist in PM5?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.  You want to take an existing image (photo) and have PM draw a folder icon on top of it (graphically) and then save the file back out as a JPEG?

If so, we have never offered such a feature.

-Kirk

Offline Blacksmith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:08:37 AM »
Yes, I appreciate my question isn't perhaps the clearest question I've ever asked. Here goes with another attempt:

Almost all of my jpeg images don't have thumbnails when viewed in Folder. They consist of a rectangular outline with the letters jpeg imposed on it. I thought there was a way to append a  thumbnail to an existing jpeg so when browsing via Finder I would see a minute image of that file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
Yes, I appreciate my question isn't perhaps the clearest question I've ever asked. Here goes with another attempt:

Almost all of my jpeg images don't have thumbnails when viewed in Folder. They consist of a rectangular outline with the letters jpeg imposed on it. I thought there was a way to append a  thumbnail to an existing jpeg so when browsing via Finder I would see a minute image of that file.

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

All recent versions of Mac OS X (10.6 and up) should render a thumbnail from the full size JPEG image in the Finder.  We removed that capability from PM5 because in recent versions of Mac OS X, having a thumbnail resource is more of a liability than a help (they're no longer necessary nor advised to be created--this comes from Apple).  For instance in the Cover Flow view, if icon resources are present then they're used instead of the actual image.  Icons are far lower resolution than the image itself and can become stale if they're not updated when the image is changed.  Cover Flow looks absolutely horrible when an image has custom icon resources attached.

-Kirk

Offline Blacksmith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:58:26 AM »
I'm using Mac OS 10.8.4 and haven't seen any jpeg thumbnails in folders from either of my cameras, a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 and a Nikon D7000 but I don't have cover view activated, preferring icon view or list view for most folder contents. Thanks for your help. Will remember to switch to cover view in future.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:03:51 AM by Blacksmith »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
I'm using Mac OS 10.8.4 and haven't seen any jpeg thumbnails in folders from either of my cameras, a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 and a Nikon D7000 but I don't have cover view activated, preferring icon view or list view for most folder contents. Thanks for your help. Will remember to switch to cover view in future.

That's odd.  On my Mac, every view type (list, icon, column, cover flow) shows the actual JPEG image and none of the images have icon resources.  Perhaps there is some Finder setting that controls this behavior.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
Command J should open the "View Options" settings window. Near the bottom is a check-box for: "Show icon preview"  See if it needs to be enabled.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/