Author Topic: Question about saving JPG's in PM  (Read 6477 times)

Offline plovell66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Question about saving JPG's in PM
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
While on assignment today, my editor asked me if I was saving my files as 'baseline standard' in photoshop because it looked like i wasn't. I told her that I don't open photoshop on deadline unless I absolutely have to so, my question is...

When you "save photo as" in PM, does it save a JPG at baseline standard or something else?

Here is my workflow: Shoot JPG, ingest into PM, select image, crop, caption and save photo as, I choose image type JPG, 300 pixels per inch, convert to sRGB, sharpen image.

I don't open and edit an image in Photoshop unless I absolutely have to, I would say 80% of the time, I don't open PS at all. Do I have to add a step and edit all the files in PS to save as baseline standard or is PM saving the JPG that way?

Photo Mechanic 5.0 build 15077

I'm using a Macbook pro, 10.9.1
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:19:17 PM by plovell66 »

Offline plovell66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Question about saving JPG's in PM
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:21 AM »
Should I move this to support to get an answer?

thank you.

Pat

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:35 AM »
Pat,

Photo Mechanic only creates baseline JPEGs.  It never creates progressive JPEGs.

What is the the issue for the editor with PM-created JPEGs?  Size?  Quality?

-Kirk

Offline plovell66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
when sending images out to my editor, there are clients that pick them up and one of the clients needs files specifically saved "baseline standard" and from what she told me, if they are not saved that way, the client won't see them on the server.

I hope that makes sense.

I don't want to have to open each file up in Photoshop just to save them but, I think that may be the only way.

Any suggestions?

thanks again.

Pat

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
Pat,

when sending images out to my editor, there are clients that pick them up and one of the clients needs files specifically saved "baseline standard" and from what she told me, if they are not saved that way, the client won't see them on the server.

I hope that makes sense.

I don't want to have to open each file up in Photoshop just to save them but, I think that may be the only way.

The software the client is using must be one picky piece of software.  I have no solution for you at this time.

-Kirk

Offline plovell66

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:00:21 PM »
Thanks for your help Kirk. If I find out any more information on this, I'll update this post.

Pat

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
It would be interesting to know what software cares how the huffman tables are managed.  We use optimized huffman tables (saves another 10-20% in overall size of the saved image) so our method is closer to Photoshop's Baseline Optimized setting.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:19:53 AM »
Pat...

I have a client that demands a particular workflow... so it might be worth looking into for you:

In photoshop,  menu File -> Scripts-> Image Processor.

It opens up all the images in a folder, converts to jpg, psd, or tif, as appropriate.  then saves the images to a different folder.  (and -- here's the cool part, it will run a PS action of your choice on the image!)