Author Topic: Selected not checked or rotated when I reopen.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Dbtrip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Selected not checked or rotated when I reopen.
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »
After I check my selections and rotate images, if I close the program and reopen it to make more selections, all the checks are gone and rotated images are no longer rotated. Also, when I save rotated images to my hard drive, they are no longer rotated. Is there a preference setting for this? This didn't happen with PM 4...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Selected not checked or rotated when I reopen.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
After I check my selections and rotate images, if I close the program and reopen it to make more selections, all the checks are gone and rotated images are no longer rotated. Also, when I save rotated images to my hard drive, they are no longer rotated. Is there a preference setting for this? This didn't happen with PM 4...

It sounds to me like you're editing directly on your camera card and the default preference does not write through to camera cards.  You can change this behavior in the Files section of the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Dbtrip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
Editing from card in a reader. Is that the "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks" pref? Why is it not recommended?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
Editing from card in a reader. Is that the "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks" pref? Why is it not recommended?

Well until you download your images, you're working on your one and only copy of your images.  If an error were to occur, you would have few options on fixing the situation.  We highly recommend that people Ingest their images first and never work on the card.

-Kirk

Offline Dbtrip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »
I see. That's good to know. I don't do anything but select, rotate and then copy the selected photos with ITPC info to my hard drive for processing and further editing. I have used this method for years without incident. I thought the selection and rotation info was part of the cache, but I guess PM writes it to the card. Oh well, another step is needed for ultimate safety I guess. I shoot performing arts which means there are a lot of rejects and ingesting all of them takes a while, but the trade off is slightly faster preview building even tho that's not a problem when dealing with so many images as it takes a while to look thru them.
Thanks for the response.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:24:58 PM »
I see. That's good to know. I don't do anything but select, rotate and then copy the selected photos with ITPC info to my hard drive for processing and further editing. I have used this method for years without incident. I thought the selection and rotation info was part of the cache, but I guess PM writes it to the card. Oh well, another step is needed for ultimate safety I guess. I shoot performing arts which means there are a lot of rejects and ingesting all of them takes a while, but the trade off is slightly faster preview building even tho that's not a problem when dealing with so many images as it takes a while to look thru them.

Setting Rotation/Tag/Color Class/Rating will all write to the file.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:58:17 AM »
Hi,
As Kirk said, you should always ingest before tagging, rating, editing, keywording, deleting, etc. I also run a backup (Time Machine) before. Then I format the card in-camera and start working on my images.
Takes a little longer but I am always on the safe side, with two copies of my pictures.
Regards,

- Luiz Muzzi