Author Topic: New ingest options: RAW+MOV  (Read 4752 times)

Offline dell2405

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New ingest options: RAW+MOV
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »
I often shoot video and stills during news or breaking news events.  I shoot RAW+JPEG for quick transmission of a few JPEGS via wifi to iPad, then ingest and edit the RAWS when I get back to my computer if I leave it in the car during an event.

For speed I need to ingest only the RAW files for sorting/editing/captioning and then processing selects in Capture One 7.  I currently have to set the Ingest Filter Files option to "Copy RAW photos only"  The only problem is that MOVIE files are not copied with this setting.  Can you add a "Copy RAW photos only+(user defined filetype/file extension)"?

I now have to copy everything and then search for the jpegs in Quick Search and delete them from the contact sheet.  This takes a lot of extra time during the ingest process.

I was also thinking if there is any chance of creating an ingest folder rule where different images are ingested into specific subfolders.  I use Final Cut X and like to have subfolders containing movie files & jpegs & audio files.  I like having a jpeg directory if I am using a couple of still images that will be added to a video project without having to process in C1 Pro 7.

Thanks. 

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: New ingest options: RAW+MOV
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:00:47 AM »
I often shoot video and stills during news or breaking news events.  I shoot RAW+JPEG for quick transmission of a few JPEGS via wifi to iPad, then ingest and edit the RAWS when I get back to my computer if I leave it in the car during an event.

For speed I need to ingest only the RAW files for sorting/editing/captioning and then processing selects in Capture One 7.  I currently have to set the Ingest Filter Files option to "Copy RAW photos only"  The only problem is that MOVIE files are not copied with this setting.  Can you add a "Copy RAW photos only+(user defined filetype/file extension)"?

I now have to copy everything and then search for the jpegs in Quick Search and delete them from the contact sheet.  This takes a lot of extra time during the ingest process.

I can see that this could be a nice addition, especially now more and more people will (also) shoot video with their camera.

I was also thinking if there is any chance of creating an ingest folder rule where different images are ingested into specific subfolders.  I use Final Cut X and like to have subfolders containing movie files & jpegs & audio files.  I like having a jpeg directory if I am using a couple of still images that will be added to a video project without having to process in C1 Pro 7.

You should already be able to achieve this using either the {type} or the {mediatype} variable in your ingest destination. You can use code replacements if you like to form your own names based on those types (especially {type} can be quite cryptic).

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »

Thanks.

Using {type} in the ingest destination will put RAW, JPG, and movies in separate folders.  That's what I do to keep video and stills separate.

Offline dell2405

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.  I didn't know you could use {type} in the ingest box.

Can you post an example of text using the {type} in the ingest box?

Thanks.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:12:18 AM »
I gave you bad information. I just did an ingest using {type} and it does separate video and still but the NEF files and JPGs are in the same folder.  So, here's another possibility. Once the files are ingested, turn off the option to combine RAW and JPG in the View.  That's Ctrl-J in Windows.  Now go to the sort option at the top of the screen and select Sort by {type}.  That will group the images by JPG and RAW making it easy to select the JPGs and delete them since they are now all together rather than mixed with the RAW files.  Sorry for the bad info.