Author Topic: Replacing IPTC advice  (Read 1316 times)

Offline m.d.ratcliff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Replacing IPTC advice
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
I am running PM 5 build 15451 on Win 7x64

I am looking to join metadata, specifically keywords, from updated files to the older files.

Example:
file 1.jpg 3Mb no keywords - new file 1.jpg 700Kb new keywords added
Repeat for a few thousand files.

So the original file size is preferred while the new version has been downsized for transfer speed but with the keywords added. Actual file name has not changed, just the size and IPTC info.

Is there a way PM can help me?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Replacing IPTC advice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
I am running PM 5 build 15451 on Win 7x64

I am looking to join metadata, specifically keywords, from updated files to the older files.

Example:
file 1.jpg 3Mb no keywords - new file 1.jpg 700Kb new keywords added
Repeat for a few thousand files.

So the original file size is preferred while the new version has been downsized for transfer speed but with the keywords added. Actual file name has not changed, just the size and IPTC info.

Is there a way PM can help me?

Yes, but it's a bit of work.  You would export the current keywords with the Text Exporter template (all selected images to a single file) exporting only {filename}{tab}{keywords}

Then you would load that exported text file as a code replacement file.  Then you would use the IPTC Stationery Pad to apply only the keywords field which you would set to:

\{filename}\

And then you would apply the IPTC Stationery Pad to your large files.  (They need to have the same name as the smaller files.)

Your larger files would now have the keywords of the smaller files.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline m.d.ratcliff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing IPTC advice
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
Wow! Will have to try that.

I heard back from the company that tagged my images and they said the new files have not lost any print quality, just data size. So I will test it out and see.

Thx for the response Kirk