Author Topic: Problems with Find and Search functions  (Read 1433 times)

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problems with Find and Search functions
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
My problem is that neither the Find or the Search functions in PM5 work on volumes containing folders or on folders containing subfolders.  In other words, I am unable to do global searches but am forced to look through individual folders and subfolders.  I'm sure that I am missing something.  FWIW, I keep all of my images on external hard drives.

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with Find and Search functions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
Rob,

My problem is that neither the Find or the Search functions in PM5 work on volumes containing folders or on folders containing subfolders.  In other words, I am unable to do global searches but am forced to look through individual folders and subfolders.  I'm sure that I am missing something.  FWIW, I keep all of my images on external hard drives.

The Find panels only work on the selected contact sheet's items.

Search on the Mac uses Spotlight technology and only finds what Spotlight indexes.  In particular, Spotlight does not index XMP sidecar files properly.

-Kirk

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Find and Search functions
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
Rob,

The Find panels only work on the selected contact sheet's items.

Search on the Mac uses Spotlight technology and only finds what Spotlight indexes.  In particular, Spotlight does not index XMP sidecar files properly.

-Kirk

Well, that certainly makes finding image files more difficult, especially since Spotlight does not work on raw files (with the exception of DNGs).  I have reindexed the main volume on which I keep files, but that has not helped.  I would hope that future versions of Photo Mechanic will be able to search whole volumes and folders.  Maybe that will be part of the long awaited catalog, but in any case, it would make the program much more useful.

Rob