Author Topic: PM 4.1 locks up after PS3 install  (Read 12185 times)

Offline xmit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.1 locks up after PS3 install
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:50:33 PM »
Ever since I installed Photoshop PS3 beta w/Bridge, PM 4.1 (Mac) now will not allow any images to enlarge or send for editing it just locks up. Do you know what I have to do to fix this problem? steve miller

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.1 locks up after PS3 install
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:57:18 PM »
Steve,

Ever since I installed Photoshop PS3 beta w/Bridge, PM 4.1 (Mac) now will not allow any images to enlarge or send for editing it just locks up. Do you know what I have to do to fix this problem?

Not offhand, but can I ask you for more information?

What OS version are you running?
What Mac model do you have?

I do know that the latest version of Photo Mechanic (4.4.3.3) does not have any such issue on my system running the CS3 beta.

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:51:49 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I have an issue with 4.4.3.3 and CS3.
When I have slected a number of files they will not open in CS3 with the cmd+E command. I have to right click and choose " edit selected photos with".
I have set CS3 as standard application in preferences.

I do not regard this as a PM issue, but more a problem of having both CS2 and CS3 on the same computer?
Running 1.4.8 on antique PB 1.66  :P

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 06:46:17 AM »
Søren,

I have an issue with 4.4.3.3 and CS3.
When I have slected a number of files they will not open in CS3 with the cmd+E command. I have to right click and choose " edit selected photos with".
I have set CS3 as standard application in preferences.

I do not regard this as a PM issue, but more a problem of having both CS2 and CS3 on the same computer?
Running 1.4.8 on antique PB 1.66  :P

I guess I usually use the context menu.  I'll try the Edit command.  At any rate though there is no lockup with recent versions of PM (4.4.3.3) and CS3 for me, and it sounds like your issue is not a lockup issue either.  In your case just nothing happens at all when you choose the Edit command, right?

Thanks for the info,

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:02:59 AM »
If CS3 is open cmd+E  switches to CS3, but it does not open the ACR window. Strangely I just tried selecting multiple jpg files and they open with no problem in the ACR.

If I select just one file and type "e" the same thing happens when it is a RAW file.

If CS3 is not open hitting "e" for a single file - opens CS2 !

And still CS3 is set as default in preferences.

No big deal, I still think it is caused by having CS2 and CS3 on the same computer.

Søren

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 08:57:40 AM »
Søren

If CS3 is open cmd+E  switches to CS3, but it does not open the ACR window. Strangely I just tried selecting multiple jpg files and they open with no problem in the ACR.

If I select just one file and type "e" the same thing happens when it is a RAW file.

If CS3 is not open hitting "e" for a single file - opens CS2 !

And still CS3 is set as default in preferences.

No big deal, I still think it is caused by having CS2 and CS3 on the same computer.

What happens if you just drag and drop a file from the Finder onto the CS3 application icon?

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:20:55 PM »
Kirk,

It opens with ACR.

Søren

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »
Søren,

It opens with ACR.

ACR inside Photoshop CS3, right?

There has been an ongoing issue with Photoshop since version 7.0 that causes Photoshop to not respond properly when a file is dropped onto its application icon.  The app comes forward but no file is opened.  The solution for most folks in this case is to reinstall Photoshop.

I'll test your issue and see what I find.

-Kirk

Offline xmit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM locks up after PS3 install
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »
I downloaded the latest version of PM and installed it on my 15" Powerbook 1 gig w/2 gig ram running the most recent version of OSX and I still have the same problem I had with the earlier version. When I click to enlarge an image the program locks up. I can go into the file menu and click close and the program begins to function again but I still can't enlarge an image without the program locking up. The program just refuses to show me an enlarged view of any images. steve miller

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM locks up after PS3 install
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »
Steve,

I downloaded the latest version of PM and installed it on my 15" Powerbook 1 gig w/2 gig ram running the most recent version of OSX and I still have the same problem I had with the earlier version. When I click to enlarge an image the program locks up. I can go into the file menu and click close and the program begins to function again but I still can't enlarge an image without the program locking up. The program just refuses to show me an enlarged view of any images.

Very strange.  Well if you want to contact me privately with your phone number, I'd be happy to call you and troubleshoot over the phone.  Click on my name to the left of this message and send me a Personal Message with your contact info.

-Kirk

Offline xmit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »
I reformated the drive and did a full re-install which then fixed the problem. When you install beta software anything can go wrong. Thank you for your help. steve